Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Here's the narrative: At home I had 2 glasses of wine. An…

OK. Here's the...

OK. Here's the narrative: At home I had 2 glasses of wine. An hour later I went to a club with a friend and consumed 3 glasses of wine over the course of 51/2 hours. After the third drink, I experienced effects not associated with normal drinking such as: motor skill dysfunction (I fell down 3 times while dancing), memory loss (big chunks missing, yet events that happened earlier were clear), inability to think rationally, and a dreamlike feeling. I am 67 yrs. old, didn't eat or drink water while in the club, and didn't consider calling my friend who lived less than a mile away for help. I am an experienced drinker, who after a wet-reckless 15 yrs. ago has been careful to watch my drinking, call cabs, and even sleep in my car to avoid a DUI. I suspect a 'club drug' such as Rohypnol or GHB enhancing the breathalyzer test which was ,25, .23 respectively. I've never been "slipped a mickey" before. Is this possible?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

They pulled me over and did a breath analysis twice.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I almost forgot; I have lost about 50 lbs. over the course of a year. I went from 240 to 190. Also I had increased my alcohol intake during that time but had begun to taper off due to hand tremors that were more or less a daily occurrence. (Due to depression from the death of my wife)

6/5/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Actually, while the intake of GHB or another drug in your drink may explain the symptoms that you experienced after visiting the club, the elevated levels of alcohol in your system are a little hard to explain just on the basis of these drugs. Some drugs may interfere with the metabolism of alcohol which in turn can lead to ethanol remaining in the system for a prolonged period of time and thus indicating higher than the expected level of alcohol after just 3 drinks. So to answer your question, yes it is possible but this is not a common occurrence.

When we see unusually high levels of alcohol in the system after intake of a small amount then we usually always consider that there may be underlying liver damage which is causing the unusually high levels. When the liver is damaged that impairs its ability to process alcohol properly and thus the levels in the bloodstream are higher than usual. It can also lead to the development of severe symptoms even after just a couple of drinks. This is why I think you should get evaluated and get a blood test done checking the liver, namely the liver function tests along with an abdominal ultrasound as well to determine the state of the liver. Another cause of unusually high BAC levels may be an existing H.pyroli infection in the stomach which can sometimes can this sort of issue. A simple stool for antigen test would be diagnostic here.

Now apart from this your symptoms may be unrelated to the alcohol or even intake of some drugs, I would, in fact, get a complete neurological examination done which would help us to determine if these symptoms may have been caused by a mini-stroke. A mini-stroke or TIA is a condition in which a small blood clot gets stuck in the brain and then is dislodged within 24 hours. Given your age and past history, I would actually have an MRI of the brain done if the physical examination is suggestive of this problem. At the same time, a carotid doppler of the neck should also be considered.

But the liver MUST be evaluated here, especially since you have lost 50 pounds over the last year.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali