Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How to deal with Occipital Neuralgia pain when nothing but…

How to deal with...

How to deal with Occipital Neuralgia pain when nothing but ER care has given any relief for the past week.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It's been a week now. I've been to the ER twice over it. It's causing pain down my neck to my mid back then up into the right side of my head. I get really dizzy especially when I lie down

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that really relates to the head though I do have high blood pressure and Aspergers syndrome.

6/3/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

What treatment did the ER give you and how was the diagnosis made?

I was diagnosed in WA by my neurologist there and I told the ER about it. They gave me migraine cocktail

Did the neurologist offer any treatment?

I had injections done there several times. They never lasted. I was put on lyrica, nortyptoline and robaxin by a pain specialists. I just started with getting new drs in NV

Have you had an MRI or a ct scan of your brain and neck?

I got a ct in the ER and a new mri about a week ago

Of both your brain and your neck?

There were no signs of clots or aneurysms so they treated me with the cocktail and pain killers. I talk to my primary as bout the mri on Tuesday

Well the injections are the mainstay of treatment

But I'd consider also putting you on Tegretol and get you into a physical therapy program

Please let me know if you need any more information

I've done the injections and of and posture therapy. The lyrica and nortyptoline usually at least keep me stable with only the occasional flare up
pt

What more information do you need from me?

I was just hoping for some more on-site on what else I could do to make it til I can see my primary. But I have now gone to urgent care
Insight

Well for now I suggest topical capsaicin cream to your neck, oral magnesium and b cpmplex supplements and moist heated packs to the back of your head

Ok thank you

My pleasure and call on me anytime