Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I don't have a legal question but a medical drug withdrawal…

I don't have a...

I don't have a legal question but a medical drug withdrawal question. How do I get a consultant in that field?

Doctor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ms.

Doctor's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am been on xanex for 15yrs for a severe panic disorder and also chronic pain med. I am a disabled Nurse Practitioner and have been treated by a neurologist and specialist. Have been fine all these years but Ms due to all the abuse have passed a law that u can't have a benzo and any opiate simulationaly and that of course affected those like myself who never Dr or pharmacist shopped but I'm having to get off the xanex in the mid way tapering off but not doing well. So anxious and nerve tingling. I've read so much I'm confused and only making me more panicky. I have read about things you can take as a natural supplement but there are tons. Need some help knowing what i need and don't need. Can you direct me?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't need a lawyer do not connect me there. I need a psychologist or psychiatrist.

6/3/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

I am sorry that no expert has yet responded.

There are limited studies in using supplements to ease symptoms related to benzodiazepine withdrawal. However, the supplement that has been studied the most is Valerian root. Valerian root has a mechanism of action similar to benzodiazepines, although far less potent.

The other supplement that my patients have used with some success has been 5-HTP.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Tell the lady that took my question that I am already a member of just answer and pay a monthly fee. She said I would be getting an email for a $5 fee.

The experts are not involved with the financial components of the site, but I will send a note to customer service.

Dr. Love, I appreciate your input would there be any other expert that might have more suggestions. I saw one online that had addiction and pain in his bio but didn't catch his name. It may have been you. How much Valeria root and 5-HTP do you take. I've read on lots of blogs that GABA and L-thysine are the primary things that is needed. That's what is in almost all the anxiety supplements along with some other herbal things. Also Vit b 6 and something else that is supposed to support the nervous system and the Neuro receptors and increase the serotonin and dopamine. One is Zen Life Anxiety which has good reviews but of course everything does. It was number 3 in the top 100 supplements with more of the two most important ingredients GABA & L-thysine the number*****John's wart which i read several places to avoid that. I've had little experience with that. My insomnia is awesome and throwing me off my taper and I can't do that. I added back the PAXIL at 10mg at night to the buscar 15mg 2x/d and melatonin. I have taken PAXIL before years ago during on of those episodes of situational anxiety and did well on it but I have to take Regan to help with emptying my pouch which has an outlet of 10mm and size of a boiled egg. There's a big drug interaction between PAXIL and Regan so we stopped it but it seem to help me sleep so I stopped the reglan and waited 3 days and started the PAXIL back at the lowest dose. I'm also on Remereron a tricyclic I believe I've taken it for yrs at 15mg because at a low dose it has a side effect of somulance and increased appetite which i need. I've gotten a bit acculmated to it but still think I benefit from that. When hospitalized over 19 years ago for the 2nd break down the psychiatrist increased it to 45mg an antidepressant dose and added PAXIL which worked well but I am not depressed just pure anxiety with everything that is going on. Do you know ANYTHING about final metabolites on urine screens. In yrs I had something show up on the final and I have no reason to lie but there's is no way i would or could have this in my system. I'm homebound hooked to a pump in bed except for the bathroom. My husband gives my meds and prepares my food. Didn't show on preliminary but showed on final meth amphetamine the very last thing an anxious person would take. I know my husband wouldn't have given me that knowingly.i know he has been concerned about the anxiety and me not sleeping more than usual and is a vitamin freak and these drinks that are supposed to help you. This was 3 mos ago could it be from hand transfer from someone else that might have given him something to help me. He's very trusting and naive and I've just been hanging on. I'm having to make myself even do this because I need to get some information now before im totally dysfunctional. I have been with the same pain specialist for yrs and have had hundreds of drug tests. The last thing i need is to lose him he is a real specialist and I really trust him.

I will opt out.

Ty Dr Love.
I haven't gotten a response from the second expert after Dr. Love opted out and referred me to another expert. I need to know how much Valerian root and 5-HTP that Dr love said there had been some success with those supplements perhaps he can answer that part.

I opted out because you requested a different expert.

I would be willing to clarify my answer, but I would request that you provide a positive rating for my answer so that I am credited for assisting you.

The dose of valerian root that has been used in studies has varied from 400 mg to 900 mg mg nightly. The starting dose of 5-HTP is 150 mg daily, and can be titrated up to 400 mg daily.

I didn't mean to request a new expert just thought there might have been some other additional experience. I am pleased with you and will leave positive feedback. I am on pavil 10mg at night and buscar 15mg 2x day these were started about 3 wks ago. I'm a little concerned about the Valerian root because it said that could cause drug interactions with the PAXIL. I have taken it before yrs ago before I was on xanex. I was restarted back on it in Dec when the law went into effect to hopefully help feed the receptors as the xanex was cut the first time and the second time we tried to cut it again I could not do it. Severe withdrawal and I had gotten worse nutrionally. My albumin was low again so we held at the first dose until a little over two weeks ago. The PAXIL had been increased to 20mg and I felt I wasn't tolerating the PAXIL so it was stopped several mos ago. I ask for the buscar because I had read that it helped more with the panic and it has seemed to help but absolutely could not sleep from worry and impending doom. The PAXIL at 10 had helped with that so I looked it up to see if could take both and read that were prescribed together so added the 10mg back. I started b1 b6 last night with the bedtime meds which includes melatonin and Xanaflex which i have been on regularly. I was on restoril for insomnia for a long time but that was a benzo also so i stopped that in Dec and restarted the melatonin regularly again. Being tied to a pegg tube and a feeding pump pretty much around the clock really gives me no avenue to exercise or occupy my mind. I was going to schedule my oral surgery before this taper but that can't happen now, awful timing. I was planning on starting Zen Life Anxiety which main ingredient are GABA and L-thysine, ashwanka, lemon bark, and holy something else and b6 which i would stop the b6 I'm taking now but after your answer I read about Valerian root and 5-HTP and saw good things also especially the Valerian for sleep but also some bad things. How high risk am I for serotonin crisis? Is this too much and should I stop the PAXIL when start Valerian? Ty for continuing with me. Unless there is an expert that is a addiction withdrawal specialist or psych I'm satisfied with you. You seem to be online alot which shows your sincerity especially with my complex situation. I need someone to help me sort thru these decisions as I continue to taper. I'm at .5 2x/d for 2 weeks then .5 /d x 1 wk then .5 every other d for a wk and then stop. I'm having break thru withdrawal symptoms and panic I've had to break on in half and take them closer together during waking hrs which I'm trying to stick to the same dose in 24 hrs.to keep me on track. How do I know the difference in the withdrawal symptoms from another more serious problem like serotonin crisis? Understanding that I seizures and coded on the 3rd day after my xanex was stopped abruptly and wound up in ICU on vent. Of course that was over 3 years ago and was on a much higher dose at that time. I still have been on xanex for over 15 years. Any help you can offer me I am so grateful. Do i need to leave your feedback now or will you stay on board I haven't heard from anyone but you. Ty Dr Love.

There is a potential adverse interaction between Paxil and Valerian root, but it is the same as the potential adverse interaction between Paxil and Xanaax. And since Xanax is more potent than Valerian root, it is actually less likely to happen when combining Paxil and Valerian root.

Serotonin syndrome is a rare adverse effect, even for people on two medicines that affect serotonin. I would note that serotonin syndrome is not really an issue for Valerian root. However, it is a concern with using 5-HTP along with Paxil, but even with that combination, it is quite rare.

You should not stop the Paxil to take Valerian. As I said above, this combination is less likely to cause an adverse interaction than the combination of Paxil and Xanax.

If you are having breakthrough withdrawal symptoms, then you may need to perform a more gradual taper either by decreasing the dose in smaller steps or by taking steps less often. However, this is not something that you should do without first talking to your doctor. If a more gradual taper is done, then you will obviously need pills for a longer period of time, and your doctor will need to be involved in the prescription of those pills.

There are some symptoms that are present in both benzodiazepine withdrawal and serotonin syndrome, but serotonin syndrome tends to be more severe. Other symptoms can include confusion, hallucination, fever, alterations in blood pressure and pulse, muscle spasm and tightness, and poor coordination.

Please provide the positive rating when we have completed this discussion. However, even if a follow-up question arises after you thought we were done and provided a positive rating, that follow-up question can still be asked.

I'm sorry but my spell checker keeps changing my meds the SSRIs that I am concerned about with supplements is Paxil, Busbar and Remeron. I have been on Remeron 15mg at night for the side effect it has in low doses of increased appetite and somulance which i need both. The somulance is not anywhere near any danger area because I have gotten a tolerance to that part but the appetite part works very well. I can eat very soft and am amts by mouth and drink I just can't get enough protein now without the ability to chew at all. The meet my nutrional needs until I have extensive oral surgery and special dentures that will snap on and off. I don't have enough bone to support reg dentures and don't tolerate oral supplements. My old Rouix Y gastric bypass left me with intolerance to dairy products and meats. I managed to meet my needs by combinations to get complete proteins for yrs as long as I had teeth. I was 34 when had the bypass and had never had a cavity but the first yr was awful. I lost all my wt which was 100 lbs in about 7 mos had severe dumping syndrome. I finally fiqured it out and had years of good health. I've never smoked or drank and no meds until years later when i developed several autoimmune diseases. Chronic myofascia pain syndrome pos for celiac disease and severe muscle spasms that I was under the care of a neurologist for yrs who treated me for dystonia with tons of botox and pain meds. At one time he and a pain specialist wanted to do a fentanyl spinal pump which i failed the trial test with urinary retention. He had me on massive amounts of pain meds because of my severe malabsorbtion syndrome I was treated with transdermal patches and bucks suckers for several yrs after my disability I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist and GI and psych a huge work up .this had a huge impact on my health. I felt even though I was not sedated or anything more than pain control that I was on way too much and way over done on botox lg amts of injections and too frequently but I really trusted him. It of course was a much different climate then but I changed pain specialist and we changed everything. I do have a huge tolerance or either it is the malabsorbtion and short bowel syndrome on EGD my gi dr says there is so much colon removed that he can't even see the junction with a light.I have continued on chronic pain meds but much less. I take dilalauid 4mgs 4x/d. Hind sight I would have never chosen this route. Autoimmune diseases run very high in my family. I might not have been in this situation but that bridge has passed. I've been disabled about 12 years I worked a very high profile high stress job and then have had one major life stressor after another. I would get right back up because outside of my nutrional problem I can manage everything. I have no htn, heart or lung problems, only the lack of teeth. My crowns just fell off after I lost my final bridge and had the front bottoms removed but dentures wouldn't work because had no ridge or opposing top teeth to chew with only had front top left and those were what i was having removed so that I could have dentures that would work or even try reg ones the oral surgeon says I need at least 2 implants on bottom and that's what I was doing when i found myself on pre op lab to be dehydrated and sodium was low and they admitted me for rehydration and stabilize my chemistry but withheld both xanex and pain meds and I seizures. My albumin was critically low also that set me on this path. One hurdle after another on top of one horrible stress after another including the accidental death of our son and 2 moves during this time. I have crowns that just fell off during this time which left me with remnant root canals and broken teeth under the crown that just let go none are decayed and those have migrated up out if sight he said may very well have to go into my sinus cavity to remove all that. That is what is pending and I have to have pain meds to get me thru that after this xanex thing. After all this I am seriously considering tapering off of pain meds also. I'm 63 years old but despite everything i am very young for my age. I have led a clean life basically until I developed the pain that probably wasn't treated the best way but I was in pain around the clock and muscle tension was so great that I had immobility to the point that I could not work or even do my adl. I'm much better now in that respect the botox did help me but I'm afraid with a hidden price the rheumatologist said a trigger was flipped in my brain that changed my touch perception to pain. I couldn't even stand for my husband or children to touch me or a sheet moved on me for about 2 yrs. I guess that is in some sort of remission. I refused to accept this as real even as a NP I had problems believing that fibromyalgia was real but then i was faced with something very subjective until the dystonia was visible and I had to face that it was real. I'm afraid to make changes that it might come back.

I am sorry that you have had so many problems, but I do not see another question in this post.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
I'm sorry I got off track. My question was about Valerian root and 5-HTP and Paxil. Are these contradicted? Drug interaction? Should I stop the PAXIL before I start the Valerian root? I also was concerned about serotonin crisis with PAXIL, busbar and Remeron with these supplements that u had experience with and the GABA and L-thysine? I am also taking Xanaflex for muscle spasms and tension have been on for yrs but more now since basically in the bed that alone without excersise except to bathroom and only outside for drs appt. exacerbates my muscle tension. I take 2 mg 4x/d .I was kept on keppra 250 mg bid after I had that xanex withdrawal seizure for about 6mos to a yr when on hospice but never had another one so wasn't continued and I've never had another seizure now for over 2-3yrs and none before that. Should I restart that as a precaution during the taper? Do i rate you now or later? Are you still opted out? What is your background you seem very knowledgeable which has been my experience with just answer with a legal issue revolving a trust dispute. The expert lawyer gave me far more detailed research answers than even my retained lawyer did. That's why I elected to return for a medical expert to just supplement my local Dr who is new and all communication is thru a nurse . That's not enough for me at this time of course I realize you are only providing info not medical treatment. Also it says to rate when finished does that mean after every encounter or after I'm totally finished. Can u elaborate more on the use of GABA and L-thysine with Valerian root and 5-HTP with the meds I am on ? Is this a safe combo? I realize there is not fda approval or much in the real literature to say what works and doesn't and that everyone is different but I am so afraid of having another crisis. I know that the b vitamins I need anyway and I'm on vit d also because it was low again this last visit but other lab was ok. I'm on 50,000u every wk for 12 wks.
I'm sorry I didn't see your response my page isn't staying synced or something. Thanks for your answer. I will give u great ratings you have been very helpful. What do you think about the keppra?
I found dr love very helpful and knowledgeable. He was very responsive and understanding. I found him very supportive in my time of need. I highly recommend him to others. I am in the medical field myself but needed someone that could have a new look involved in my situation as Dr. Love has done.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Dr Love, that's is in the wrong place. The page is not responding correctly it says. How do I add this bonus comment to your rating. I was on that place but it turned up here.

The experts do not have access to the technical aspects of the system, but customer service can help you. You can either send an e-mail to***@******.*** or call at(###) ###-####

It finally synced and I was able to add to your rating. Ty again for your kindness during this very difficult time. You have helped much more than you know. I wish i could afford a monetary bonus you deserve that. This is a situation most drs are not understanding about. Is this your experience? You are very good at this and not condemning. I hope my extra comments will bring you more consults. I didn't do that for any gain it is my true opinion and I have worked in Nephrolgy for almost 30 years and had contact daily with almost every specialist in the medical spectrum because of the co morbidities and complications of End Stage Renal disease and I know a good doctor when i see one. I hope you are recognized.

You are very welcome.

I agree that many doctors can do better in understanding the proper use of these medicines and the situations that can arise with them.

Thank you for your comments.

Dr. Love, I got the Valerian and HTP as you recommended. The directions are not clear and dosages are a bit different. The Valerian is 500 mg which is pretty clear. I know,to take this at night. The HTP is 100mg capsules which u said to start at 140. Do i start at 100 and when do i take this in am ?

Since all they had of the 5-HTP was the 100 mg strength, you can start it at 100 mg once daily in the morning. And if that is well tolerated, you can increase to 100 mg twice daily, morning and evening, after a few days.

Dr. Love, I took my first dose of HTP 100 this am afterwards I felt more anxious. I had taken my am dose of xanex at the same time and felt ok before. I have had periods of panicky feelings off and on all day to the point that I took 1/2 of a .5 xanex. I have periods of feeling ok alternating between feelings of not ok. I also felt a little warm for about an hr. I also took my b 1 and my busbar. Is this to be expected. The Valerian went well last night.
I also am having a dull headache for several days and decrease appetite. I read that a high fiber diet can affect the metabolism/ efficacy of some of these supplements that affect serotonin. My feeding is fibersource @ 50/50ml/ hr. Plus water. I had been consuming enough mostly pasta to keep my wt stable and wasn't doing it around the clock trying to be more active but I think i will start that back. I also have a very dry mouth especially after the busbar. Is any of this expected and to be concerned. I'm on my 3rd day of lower dose cut by 1/3 / day of my xanex.

Anxiety is not a typical side effect to 5-HTP. However, for prescription anti-anxiety medicines, there are a small number of people in whom there is a paradoxical reaction in which they have more anxiety. So, while I have not seen it with 5-HTP, it makes sense that a paradoxical reaction could also happen from the supplement. This will typically improve with time.

A dry mouth is not reported as a side effect to BuSpar. However, it is very common in people taking Remeron and fairly common in people taking Paxil. However, it is generally not a concern and is usually mild enough that it does not require stopping the drug.

I do have rebound headaches from time to time from my dilaudid. I normally when just have to take 1/2 of a bc. That has been the only thing that helps but I try to avoid those because when was on so much before yrs ago I got dependent on them so stopped taking them and all caffeine. I seem to be very sensitive to caffeine was a coke cola drinker like people are coffee drinkers but stopped because of the caffeine making me so nervous. I've tried advil which doesn't work. Can i take aspirin reg strength?

Since you are asking, I interpret that to mean that you were not told to avoid it for your GI tract, and if so, then yes, it would be OK to take.

Ty

You are welcome.

Dr. Love, I'm not doing well at all having terrible break thru withdrawal symptoms. I'm taking the Valerian root. I thought the 5htp was making me more panicky so I stopped for a few days but started it back today. I have another anxiety formula supplement. The main ingredients are GABA and L-theanine. It also has ashwangantha, lemon balm, bacal skull cap, holy basil and bit b6 & magnesium. My question is I have read that GABA is recommended alot but others say not to take anything that interferes with production of your own GABA. I understand that the long term use of xanex has probably cut my own GABA. It really is confusing to me seems like if mind was low I would replace it. I would like your opinion on using this supplement especially the GABA. I called my Dr and she won't see me til the 14th. I'm in a very bad situation and need your opinion. What would the GABA do?
Also I was wondering about increasing my Remeron to 30mg from 15. I tolerate it very well and have been on it a long time at this does for the side effect of increased appetite and somulance which i have a terrible time with that. I have been on 45mg along with PAXIL for about 6mos after a bad divorce. I'm taking buscar 15mg 2x day and PAXIL 10mg at night. What are your thoughts on this?
I am very sick at my stomach can't eat anything now but can drink. I upped my feeding pump formula and water to keep my albumin up and to stay hydrated. I am supposed to be on first cut xanex which is .5 2x/d from 3x actually more daily when i would get a panic attack. I started breaking them in halves because I could not stand it for 12 hrs. I have tried to stick to total dose of the 2/d but not making it. Will taking a smaller does more frequently be different?

There are no studies in the medical literature that show that GABA supplementation will help with benzodiazepine withdrawal. Nor is there any evidence for the other components of the new supplement. However, there is no problem with trying this supplement.

Increasing the Remeron is a reasonable consideration, but it is not something that you should do without first discussing it with your doctor.

Taking a smaller dose more frequently would be fine if you are having breakthrough withdrawal symptoms towards the end of the dosing interval, as long as the total daily dose is the same.

Dr. Love, I am shaking and hot and cold, can't see Dr til Thursday I have keppra 250 mg that they put me on after I seizures when drs admitted me because I was dehydrated and sodium was low they did not write to continue my home meds which one was the xanex on the 3rd day I was discharged sitting there waiting on husband to pick me up and he walked in and found me on the floor seirzuring and then i coded wound up in ICU on vent. Should I start the keppra back? I had never had a seizure and none since then. My meds were restarted after I woke up and I've never been off of xanex and chronic pain meds, dilaudid since then. I was on much more by the neurologist that diagnosed me for several yrs until I chgd to a pain specialist. I am going to have to get off of both. Do you know anything about Kratom?

Keppra is usually not needed during a Xanax taper.

There is no clinical evidence that Kratom will help with Xanax withdrawal.

Should I be having this much withdrawal symptoms with a taper? It's only 6wks actually really 4 more than 25% cut and Thursday Dr has it set to cut 50% for a wk .5/ d from .5 2x/d then in 1 wk .5 every other day.for a wk and then stop. I haven't been able to do the 2x/day!

Some people have more withdrawal symptoms than others, but it has nothing to do with whether someone "should" be having any level of withdrawal symptoms. Each individual has to deal with whatever level of symptoms that they have.

Ty, Dr. Love. I rated you again and added comments. You are so helpful and greatly appreciated.

You are welcome.

I added a bonus for you. It's not near enough for all you are doing. I see you online everytime. I'm sorry it's not more you deserve much more but I'm on a fixed income and that's all I can do for now.

Thank you very much.