Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Is the only guarantee I have that this recurrent

neuropathy is not HIV related...
Dr. Is the only guarantee I have that this recurrent neuropathy is not HIV related are those tests i took last year, im just wondering why this neuropathy went away for nearly 5 months and came back? And this time is worse.
6/2/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

I do not agree with your wording, but a lab-based HIV test is the only test that can be done to exclude HIV as the diagnosis. There is no other test that could be done.

The neuropathy went away and came back because it does that some of the time. We usually do not know why it gets better and worse in certain people. Even when we clearly know what causes the neuropathy, such as in a diabetic, we do not know why it affects certain diabetics and not others. And even when the diabetes is stable, the neuropathy gets better or worse in some people, and we do not know why. We simply have to address how it manifests in each individual.

I'm referring to the HIV 4th gen tests I took last year from Jan thru April, 2017.

I know.

if these tests were negative , my initial symptoms began in December 2016. I know you had indicated yo me that would exclude HIV even though my reuropathy came back?

My answer is unchanged from before.

Dr. That was the answer you. gave me a few days ago?. You indicated to exclude HIV ?

Yes.

Don't know how to get HIV out of my mind , and just take everything you have indicated to me and stop worrying then, I completely trust your judgement , just that thoughts keep my anxiety high.

If someone continues to be anxious about something, then it may require direct treatment for the anxiety.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Thank you Dr.