Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'd like to speak with a dermatologist if possible about a…

I'd like to speak...

I'd like to speak with a dermatologist if possible about a long-lasting rash I have.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Did you see my message above?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Kidney cancer in 2002, right kidney removed. Had a biopsy done on my rash a couple weeks ago that ruled out cancer, HIV, couple other things.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Not sure what you mean.

6/2/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

I can't do it on this page. I am emailing two photos for you to***@******.***

I'll get back here the minute I get them but it may take a while so please be patient

I prefer to start with continuing here.

No problem but you'll have to describe the rash for me and what did the biopsy report say?

About six years ago, my right elbow became very itchy, dark red/purple and swollen. I went to the ER and was told if I'd come in a day later, it might have been too late. I was in the hospital for three days with IV drugs....
About two months ago, both my elbows showed the same symptoms, except they did not become swollen. I then developed welts on my left shoulder. The doctor said the welts were a fungal infection; I took anti-fungal medicine and the welts went away.....
But the rash spread from my elbows down my arms, then to my torso, then my thighs and the backs of my calves. The torso rash subsided but the others have remained. The itching/burning pain is worse at night....

What exactly does it look like now?

And, again--the results of the biopsy?

I just emailed the biopsy results to the support address. The diagnosis was: "Dermatitis with mixed Eczematous and focal interface."
When it's inflamed, it is large red patches. When not inflamed, the color becomes more pale.

Thanks, ***** ***** those emails will take a while to get to me

Was the antifungal medication all you were given for this?

At first, it was because at first all I had were the welts on my left shoulder. But as the rash spread, I was told to take: Allegra, Benedryl, Hydroxyzine and Doxepin. I take one two of them (sometimes three Benedryl) 2-3 hours apart. They help relieve the itching and burning for a bit, but the rash remains.

And was it a dermatologist that gave you that regimen

Except for the Allegra, which an allergist recommended. She could not do an allergy test because I had too much antihistamine in my body.

Well if I were the dermatologist, at this point I would place you on a month's worth of oral prednisone with a taper at the last week and I'd also prescribe Singulair orally--10 mg a day

So I suggest you ask the dermatologist about that

Please let me know if you need any more information

I've been taking Prednisone episodically when the rash flares up. 40-60 mg in tablet form, roughly every other day at night to fall asleep. I'll ask about the Singulair. Thanks very much.

My pleasure and call on me anytime