Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My Mom had a ruptured brain aneurysm last year and a shunt…

My Mom had a...

My Mom had a ruptured brain aneurysm last year and a shunt was put in on the left side. She pointed out tonight that on the right side her temple has started sinking in. There currently isn't any pain or pressure associated with this. Is this something that needs immediate attention or monitoring?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

I have noticed it before, so I'm not sure of a timeframe, maybe a several weeks. No other symptoms she has mentioned.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Should I ask her about specific other symptoms?

My main question is should I take her to the emergency room. she had a CT scan a few months ago, all okay. What can cause this?
6/2/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. Is she having any intense throbbing headache?
2. Is there any nausea or vomiting?
3. Is she experiencing any weakness of any particular part of the body?
4. Is there a possibility that you can check her blood pressure and get back to me please?
5. How is her vision is she experiencing any blurriness or double vision?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello doctor,
I asked her about headaches and the said she gets them occassionally.
No vomiting or nausea
she has complained that she is tired and doesn't feel like doing much.
She doesn't live with me, she lives in an independent living community.
I asked her about her eyes and if she was having any problems and she said no.
No reason for a call at this point because I don't have her here with me.
I'm just trying to determine if i should take her to the hospital

Hello, the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I would be glad to continue here please.

Hi...from what you say - I do not see an emergent need for taking her to an emergency room

Can the community care taker there check a blood pressure recording and compare it with the recent one (when she did not have these symptoms and get back to you please)?

Okay, thanks. I took her to a vascular doctor last week for her legs and they took her blood pressure and it was much lower that it normally is, I don't remember exactly but something like 140 / 100
I can try and reach my mom and the nurse on call to take her blood pressure if there is concern.
Her blood pressure in the past was closer to 170

Hi...as of now this is not an emergency.

But please explain these red flag signs (as explained above) to her and her nurse and if these appear or if the comparative blood pressure is high now, she will require medical attention...otherwise she can wait.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Okay, thank you. I will follow up with her tomorrow about this and on the 8th we have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor so I will bring this up to him as well. Thank you for your help.

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD