Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a rash on my cheek and a dermatologist tested what it…

Customer Question
I had a rash...

I had a rash on my cheek and a dermatologist tested what it was. It turned out to be lupus. Am i likely to have lupus in my system since it is on my skin?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Ive had the same rash for about a year maybe a little longer. My nails sometime break but thats it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have chest aches and a very irregular period. Also I am often fatigued throughout my day.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Medical
6/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 25 days ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

In many individuals with symptoms only in their skin, lupus affects only their skin and does not affect the other organs.

However, few individuals may have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) which involves multiple systems including the skin. Also, approximately 10 percent of people with chronic skin lupus later develop lupus in other organ systems. So, it is possible that you have systemic lupus with the skin rash as the first symptom. But it is more possible that you are not having systemic lupus and you will only have skin rash due to lupus. Your chest aches and irregular periods may be due to other causes and not related to lupus. More specific antibody testing can be done to know whether you have systemic lupus.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 24 days ago

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you!