Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has what we believe to be poison oak all over…

Customer Question
My husband has what...

My husband has what we believe to be poison oak all over both hands and on his feet. It is really bad. Should he go to the er? I can post pic

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

He poured alcohol on it and it was seemingly better until working today in the intense heat

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/1/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Hello

When did it develop?

How old is he?

Did he apply or take anything besides alcohol?

Does he have pain, itching, fever, breathing difficulty?

He got a rash on his foot and itched it raw. It spread to the other and then his hands . He is 38. Several not so smart things. Intense pain and itching
It has been on his feet for a week at least, his hsnds for 3 days

Please send the pics.

Are you sending pictures?

Yea, in just a sec

ok

Hello again,
I was waiting for your reply.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
Poison oak rash can last for 1-3 weeks.
In some cases it can continue for more than a month too.
Usually it goes away by its own within 10-20 days.
You can apply cool compress.
Antihistamine like benadryl or Claritin can be taken for itching.
Motrin or Advil can be taken for pain.
In some cases, steroid can be needed for rapid improvement or if the symptoms are severe.
ER visit is usually required when the rash affects face, genitals or a large part of body.
It can be needed if there is breathing or swallowing difficulty.
Otherwise he can see his regular doctor in the morning.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Thank you

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Warm Regards.