Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having swollen ankles off and on for the last…

Customer Question
Hi- I have been...

Hi- I have been having swollen ankles off and on for the last month. I'm a 40 year old woman. I notice it the most after a night of drinking or after getting on a flight. I had my liver and kidney's tested 3 months ago and all was normal. Should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries. Just put my feet up and eventually they get better. Usually over night

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm actually worried about heart failure after reading its a main symptom

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/1/2018
Doctor: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

Do you suffer from redness, tenderness, pain, numbness, bluish discoloration on the legs?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any medical illness?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

No to the first question
Lexapro and Wellbutrin
And none that I’m aware of

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, it indicates dependent edema due to the accumulation of fluid may be under the skin - usually in dependent areas such as the legs due to gravity.

However, you should monitor your blood pressure.

Limit salt consumption.

Do gentle exercises and stretching of the legs.

Avoid prolonged standing, sitting.

If you develop redness, tenderness, pain, numbness, bluish discoloration on the legs then venous insufficiency or peripheral arterial disease should be ruled out.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

One more question. My doctor put me on a testosterone cream. Could that cause it? I stopped using it a week ago but swelling still occurs

Thank you for replying back.

Swollen legs are an uncommon side effect of testosterone cream.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Could it be heart disease? Do I need to get checked?

I understand your worry.

As per your description, if you don't have shortness of breath, chest tightness, history of hypertension, Diabetes, redness, bulging veins in the lower legs then chances of heart disease are slim.

Your symptoms don't indicate an urgent medical attention.

You should evaluate underlying cause on your next appointment with your doctor.

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.