Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Chip. I had potential event 6 months ago and just did an…

Hey Dr. Chip. I had...
Hey Dr. Chip. I had potential event 6 months ago and just did an oraquick at home swab test, before the test i drank some water and swished it around my mouth and spit it out. i then waited about 5 minutes before i did the test, would this effect the validity of the test? it says to wait 20-30 minutes but someone has told me at 6 months that wouldn't matter, that antibodies would still be detected
6/1/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

thank you
I was told at 3 months it would make a difference, but at 6 months it wouldn't.

That would have affected the validity of the test

And since it was negative at 6 months that was totally accurate and you're definitely negative and don't have HIV

So no need to worry here

are you saying it would affect the validity of the test at 3 months but not at 6 months?
At 6 months swishing water would not affect the test? so i can understand...

Sorry--typo--that wouldn't have affected the validity of the test

thank you. why do they say it does? just to put my mind at ease...
they say to wait 20-30 minutes after eating or drinking...

It just doesn't invalidate the test since you waited 5 minutes after spitting it out

okay, what if it was less than 5 minutes, would it still be valid? even if i swished the water in my mouth? does the 6 months also play a role in this?

Less than 5 minutes might have affected the test

The point about 6 months is that if you're negative at 6 months then that's more than enough time for someone to seroconvert and have the antibodies if they were infected. So a negative test at 6 months is a true negative

Thank you. so in your experience, the waiting before eating or drinking doesnt play a huge factor, especially at the 6 month marker?
I just really want to be sure I am in the clear even though i screwed up the water drinking thing....

No it doesn't play any role in affecting the results of the test at 6 months

I assure you--you're in the clear here

Have you had a lot of experience with this kind of situation ? are you know I am talking about the Oraquick at home saliva test (oral fluid) where you swab your gum line, not your cheeks or anything like that.
it is the one that is on the front page to this website. http://oraquick.com

Yes I'm very knowledgeable about the Oraquick home test and I've had a lot of experience with my patients' using it

You can relaxa and let it all go--you're in the clear

Thank you very much sir. oh wait one more small thing of anxiety...
when i opened up the oral swab I placed it on the package it came in for a few minutes
the plastic package, there was no moisture to my knowledge as I had just taken it out of the package and the drawer that it came in...

No problem with that either--the test was still valid

even if hypotethiclly some of my hand sweat got on the package when I opened it? (highly unlikely)
sorry for all the questions i just want to get these concerns handled so I can really let it go and move on. this test is very nerve-racking. i did the swab approximately from canine tooth to canine tooth top and bottom, as well, is that ok?on the gum line of course...
i pushed it pretty hard...
also i believe i have both forms of herpes, does that effect the test at all?

Even then but you're way over worrying about this here

You didn't it perfectly so no worry there

And having herpes wouldn't in any way affect the result of the test

youre saying those tests are pretty much fool proof at 6 months ?that they are very hard to mess up?

They are fool proof at 6 months and it's very hard to mess them up

But you did all the right things

Let it go and move on with you life

Thank you Dr Chip for your expertise. Makes me feel a lot better. Thank you.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

I have heard that just answer is not always full of experts. How can I be assured of your credentials, experience, etc?
I just don't want to take any chances...

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chip/?rpt=3800 Here's a link to my profile. I'm a board certified licensed M.D. in Florida

If you thought there was any chance that I was at risk, you would tell me to retest right? :)

Absolutely--I never tell a patient or a customer or one of my patients what I think they might want to hear unless it were the absolute truth

Can you tell me why they say to wait 20-30 minutes after eating? whats the reason they say that if it doesnt really matter? I just am curious about this.
like why would they say that? what is it about water? food?

It's more with the eating part since there can be food particles left in the mouth

As for the water--so long as one spits it out before the test and you don't keep some water still in your mouth it has no effect

okay thank you. have a good night.

You too and call on me anytime

Dr chip i just remembered I may have eaten 15-20 minutes before the test, would that have screwed up the result ? I know i didn’t have any visible food particles in my gums.
Is it only with food particles or is are there invisible food particles ?
in your gums that you don’t see ?

No that wouldn't have affected the test

Seriously my friend--stop obsessing on this, take a deep breath, let it go and move on with you life

Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a different expert.

What further information would be helpful?

Further info would be helpful.
Let me get on my laptop.
hello dr d love. are you able to see my previous question?

Yes, I can see the entire dialogue that has happened thus far.

I just wanted to be sure that this is a good answer because I didnt feel comfortable because he was making typos.
basically i took the oraquick test, i had an event 6 months ago, i don't know the status of the individual, but i swished my mouth with some water, and i ate a burrito before the test, there was no visible food on my gums when i took the test. i took some time to read the test and talk to my friend before i swabbed and i swabbed from canine tooth to canine tooth top and bottom, closer to the gum cheek line than the teeth
what do you think ? am I in the clear as the previous Dr. stated?
i took the orauick test yesterday and it was negative. i should have said that.
I would think that 6 months post exposure would be enough time for their to be a lot of antibodies that it would be royally hard to screw up the test...?

I have a different perspective than the other expert.

There are no studies published in the medical literature that address the accuracy of an Oraquick if someone swishes water 5 minutes before testing or eats 15 minutes before testing. This also means that there are no studies that look at the impact of these issues at 6 months vs 3 months.

Any studies done by the company to develop the Oraquick would be proprietary, and companies are not obligated to publish their internal studies in the medical literature. So, it is impossible to say what is the basis for the recommendation to avoid food and water for 30 minutes before the test.

My professional experience is similar to the other expert in that I have never had a patient that had an inaccurate result because of eating or drinking. However, whenever this issue has arisen with any of my patients, I tell them that the odds are overwhelming that the result that was initially obtained is accurate, but there is so much anxiety associated with this condition, I think that it is best to repeat the test following the instructions exactly, and then that will relieve any anxiety about the test.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

that seems much more coherent than the other expert. does your mouth continuously produce saliva? does the fluid needed for testing get "washed away" by water? when i talk to the oraquick people (trained customer service) they make it sound like all the antibodies go bye bye just because you swish some water in your mouth...?
the way the test works is it the "concentration of antibodies"? so when water is introduced and there aren't as many antibodies they aren't as dense and so they don't pick up on the test?

The mouth is continuously making saliva, but when not actively chewing food, the production is at a low, steady level.

The issue is not just whether there are some antibodies in the saliva that was formed in the last 5 minutes, but whether both the amount of saliva and concentration of antibodies is sufficient to exceed the threshold of detection of the test.

So, if the company's internal studies show that drinking water 25 minutes before the test increases the chance of a false result, yes, it presumably is because of washing away saliva or diluting saliva.

At the 6 month mark, is your mouth producing a lot of antibodies in the saliva? is it significantly more than at the 3 month mark?
in other words, is it like 2times more or is it exponential?
i am going to retest no matter what but i think i would feel less anxious and better about the test if i knew how much the 6 month thing is in more in my favor that the result would be the same.

Yes, the antibody levels are much higher at 6 months than 3 months, and that is true for all body fluids (blood, saliva, etc.). The specific amount that it is higher will vary from one individual to another, but it is approximately twice as high.

Also is leukoplakia highly noticeable as being on top of the gums or can it blend in with the gum?
Also let me just ask this, when you drink water do antibodies stay on the gums or does water wash every single antibody away?

Yes, leukoplakia is typically highly noticeable.

Water would not wash away every antibody, but as I said above, the issue is the whether there are antibodies above the threshold of detection.

My gums are a little white but I’m trying to determine if it’s leukoplakia or just white gums...
Also can OraQuick detect before the 3 month mark ? What’s the soonest it has detected ? This will help me understand the sensitivity of the test.

If you are uncertain about your gums, then you can ask your doctor when you next have an appointment.

Yes, the OraQuick will usually be positive before the 3 month mark. I have not seen data on the soonest that it has been positive, but there are many people that are positive at one month after exposure.

Okay I feel reassured To go and take a confirmatory test. I’ll let you know if any other questions pop up.

Very good.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you. Even after completing the rating, if a follow-up question arises, it can still be asked.

the OraQuick at home is the same as the one as the OraQuick they use at testing centers ?
Or rather it is the same sensitivity etc ?

These OraQuick tests are the same.

With regards ***** ***** fluid
I have also heard that having herpes will cause your body to produce more hiv antibodies than someone without herpes. Is that true ?

The tests are the same. The lab has the option of performing the test on blood or oral fluid, and testing blood is slightly better, but the tests are the same.

Open herpes sores increase the risk of contracting HIV, but it does not cause your body to produce more antibodies to HIV.

Somebody told me there are conditions that chase your body to produce more hiv antibodies. Is that true ?

No, it is not true.

Also are enlarged taste buds in the way back of your tongue normal? I’ve never looked way back there with a light and I just did and there’s a few big ones

Yes, that is normal.

I assume they are taste buds but I just ate a pizza and i shined my phone flash light in there and noticed them...

They are actually a collection of taste buds and more properly called circumvallate papillae.

One on the side of my tongue is a little swollen too. I just had pizza soda and buffalo sauce. Does that mean anything ?
Like wayyyyy back. And it’s a little red. I have to stick my tongue almost out of my mouth.

They can get irritated, but it is not significant and they typically heal fine.

It’s not an indication of hiv ?
Is it a herpes thing ? I know I have that.

It is definitely not HIV. Red papillae are not a herpes thing, but an ulcer on the papillae can be due to herpes, as a herpes ulcer can occur anywhere on the tongue.

Like the actual side of the tongue...way back. That’s a little red.

The above answer applies.

Is it normal to get herpes inside or the mouth? I feel like I get more things inside of my mouth than on my lips or my genitalia...

I just told you that a herpes ulcer can occur anywhere on the tongue.

Okay thank you. I guess my question was is it more likely to get it in the mouth? I didn’t word it correctly.
That’s my last question for the night. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your expertise here.

It is more common on the lips, but can occur anywhere in the mouth.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Absolutely I will give you a great rating.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I have one last question actually. Is i true that you have herpes flare ups because your body is trying to fight something else off at the same time like a Cold, or whatever. Is that sometimes true? Can’t just plain stress cause herpes or breaks too ? What fa

Both are true.

Are the outbreaks immediate with the stress or can you be stressed then be Ok and then break out after the stress has subsided ?

If the outbreak is due to the stress, they occur with the stress, but outbreaks can occur at any time.

That was Tony to be my last question. Wow that’s weird the taste buds went down already. Is that normal ?
You’re amazing. I’m going to give you a top rating in just a few minutes.

I answered that above.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Sorry I can’t sleep. I started wondering about dry mouth. If you have dry mouth, is it very easy to tell ?
Like if you run your tongue over your gums would it just seem dry ?
I was wondering if dry mouth could be playing a part in things. And if at 6 months I would be seeing symptoms like that -
Is there any way to send pics to you ? I know it’s late at night. Not expecting a response any time soon, I just wanna get my concerns out of the way.

Yes, you would know if you have a dry mouth. And you would know better than reviewing a picture, so there is no need for a picture.

I’ve looked at your response as well as dr chips. You seem knowledgeable as did dr chip, minus the typos, does just answer do a thorough job vetting their experts ? Like there wouldn’t be a fake doctor on here right ?

JustAnswer verifies the credentials of the medical experts.

I just brushed and picked at my tooth a little bit since accidentally using some whitening gel on my gums but can you tell me if the white towards the middle looks like leukoplakia?
My gums have always bled my life. My last dental was in December and they told me my gums were puffy.
I think I’m
Just being paranoid. But my gums really started bugging me after the whitening gel

This is a separate issue and needs to be posted on a new thread.

Ok
Can you just tell me tho and I will feel a little better and will start a new thread right after this -

If you want to discuss this in this thread, then I will send an offer for additional Q&A time.

Thank you. I’m going to take a nap and may take the offer. Appreciate everything.

OK

You have given me a lot of information and have been very generous. I gave you a top rating. Many thanks.

You are welcome.