Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My left leg feel tight often in the back of my calf its

Customer Question
My left leg feel...

My left leg feel tight often in the back of my calf its bizarre na dthe knee gets very cold

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No my left leg seems to be biggerthan my right but no not really and it comes and goes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing I know of! I am very healthy and active - not overweight in any ay - play tennis - bike - hike

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I​'m sorry to hear that you are suffering from tightness in the calf. Unexplained tightness and or swelling at the top of the calf is generally caused by one of two issues.

(1) Blood clot also known as a deep venous thrombosis (DVT) - this occurs when a clot forms within a vein of the leg. This can result in tightness, swelling, and sometimes pain. usually, this occurs in a person who has been on a long road trip, flight, or who has a sedentary job, but can occur in people who are also active.

(2) Baker's cyst - this is a collection of fluid from the knee joint that will collect at the back of the knee and upper calf. This results in a palpable swelling at the back of the knee. This is not dangerous, and usually resolves with time, ice application, Tylenol or ibuprofen.

Both of these diagnoses can be detected with an ultrasound. It would be best for you to be seen and examined by a doctor to determine if an ultrasound is necessary. Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.

Do I need to see an orthopedist or just a GP

Y​ou can be seen by a GP. A specialist is not necessary for the initial evaluation. If you cannot be seen by a GP in a timely manner, you can consider going to a local urgent care to be evaluated.