Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question regarding an ulcer I have on my vagina.

I have a question...

I have a question regarding an ulcer I have on my vagina

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

The ulcer formed two days ago. I am currently on antibiotics, I do not think it could be herpes. I have not been in contact with that, I know for sure. Could the antibiotics or a bacterial infection cause one single sore?

The ulcer is not painful and is the size of a pea.
attached is a photo
5/31/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Thank you. the antibiotics I am on is the Z pack- I have been on it for four days and the ulcer appeared a day or so after the start of the antibiotic. Again there is no pain nor discomfort, I just want a piece of mind.

I​'m sorry to hear that you have been suffering from a vaginal ulcer. The most common causes of ulcers in the vaginal region include:

- Herpes / Shingles

- Syphilis

- Chancroid

I have listed them in order of how common they are. Since you are sure that you could not have been exposed to herpes, you should seek testing for the other 2 infections. They can both be treated and cured.

FYI, syphilis is the most common cause of a painless genital ulcer. Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.

Is there any other reason for it? such as use of the antibiotic?

N​o, Azithromycin doesn't cause ulcers. There are other rare causes of ulcers, such as Stevens Johnson syndrome, pemphigus vulgarus, bullous empetigo.

okay thank you

Y​ou're welcome. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD