Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need an advise please. I want to know what might be

Customer Question
I need an advise...

I need an advise please.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I want to know what might be effective and risk free for my case Lexapro or Rhodulea Rosea (search on my own) for anxiety and mild depression

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Long time ago, but always kept it confidential feel ill, depressed and social anxiety

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Healthy otherwise

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, if we look at these two options from a purely therapeutic point of view, in that which one would be the MOST EFFECTIVE treatment for you then it is Lexapro. The reason being that Lexapro has been proven to be effective in multiple studies over the last several years. It has been shown to be effective even after using the drug for just one month. In fact, I commonly prescribe this drug in my patients who have mild anxiety or depression and they usually start to feel better after 2-4 weeks. The side effects profile is also good in that only 1-2% of the patients actually experience the side effects and when they do they are usually mild in nature. If we talk about anti depressants, there are no drugs which are 100% side effect free, yes the incidence of side effects is low but they may occur in a small number of the population. So if look at the effectiveness then Lexapro is the ideal choice.

Regarding Rhodiola Rosea, it is true that there are some accounts of it being effective in managing very mild depression etc, however, the fact of the matter is that there are no large-scale peer-reviewed clinical trials which confirm the effectiveness of this herb. The advantage of using this herb is that side effects usually don't occur in most patients, usually, they occur in less than 0.5% of the patients. However, at the same time, it is a drug which may or may not be effective. This means that you can certainly try it risk-free but it may NOT work for you. If you want to go the herb or natural route then you can try a combination of herbs which may be effective such as,

Omega 3 fatty acids which are present in fish oil capsules

St.Johns wort

Saffron

Sam-e

Zinc

Folate

Ashwagandha

So in short, using lexapro will certainly be effective but there is a 1-2% risk of side effects (which are usually mild in nature) whereas using the rhodiola would be risk free (in 99.9% of the cases) but its effectiveness cannot be guaranteed.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/