Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a CT of my chest which showed dilation of aortic root…

Customer Question
I had a CT...

I had a CT of my chest which showed dilation of aortic root (5 cm) and ascending aorta. While ascending aorta at the level of the main pulmonary artery measures 4.3 cm. My doctor recommended an echo for additional measures to confirm the measurements. When is this problem one for surgery. Am I a candidate for surgery if these measurements are correct??

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

Was diagnosed after a CT scan reviewed 6 yr ago post heart attack and stint placement

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father died of aortic aneurysm at 61 yrs old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/31/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 2 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The surgical indication for an aortic aneurysm (dilatation) is;

1) The rate of growth of the size. Growth rates average 0.07 cm/year needs surgery.

2) Any size greater than 5.5 cm.

In your case it is 5 cm, so you may need surgery in a year or two.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.