Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bleeding from my left ear, I’m pretty sure it burst…

Customer Question
I have bleeding from...

I have bleeding from my left ear, I’m pretty sure it burst about an hour ago. The bleeding hasn’t slowed down, and I’m still in quite a bit of pain. Do I need to go in to an ER or should I go into my provider in the morning? Is there anything I can do for the pain now and to help with the bleeding?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

Yes I’ve had a virus for about a week now. the ear pain started with my right ear a few days ago, and then went to my left earlier this morning.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve had tonsil stones for about a year now. I’ve also had Bell’s palsy.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/31/2018
Doctor: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What is your age?

Do you suffer from hearing loss?

Dizziness, ringing in ears?

Clogged ears, stuffy nose?

Phlegm at the back of the throat?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any medical illness of Hypertension, etc?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

I am 26 years old. No hearing loss, no ringing in my ears. A little bit of dizziness, and light headed. I’ve had clogged ears for the past couple of days with associated pain. I’ve had phlegm at the back of my throat for about a week now with a stuffy nose and green mucus.
I am taking sertraline and prenatal vitamins.
I am also nursing a two month old baby.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, The bleeding could originate from the skin of the ear canal, the eardrum, or the middle ear (the space behind the eardrum).

You should initially take Over the counter Advil and Claritin for pain.

You should do nasal saline drops.

An application of cool compresses with an ice wrapped in a cotton cloth behind and around the ear.

Place sterile cotton gently in the outer ear canal to keep the inside of the ear clean.

If your symptoms will not show any improvement then see a doctor for a clinical exam in an emergency room now.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Thank you for the quick response. The information is very helpful.

Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.