Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a very red sore throat and swollen tonsil on one…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a very red sore throat and swollen tonsil on one side. I don’t have health insurance so I went to a free clinic. The doctor looked at my throat and prescribed Amoxicillin. I took it for 10 days with no relief. I had chest X-rays which came back good. I went to the hospital to have a throat culture done right after the 10 days on Amoxicillin. The girl doing the throat culture didn’t even look in my throat. She just jammed the cotton qtip in my mouth and asked me did I feel it touch my throat. Aren’t they supposed to swab the tonsil and infected area by looking at it? Needless to say the results came back negative. My cheeks are now swollen it has spread. What do I need to do? I’m desperate and have been sick for weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever. But feel bad. I have some wisdom teeth that bother me and they may be a problem. At this point I’m just grasping straws! I don’t know if I should get another throat culture done. I do have dental insurance but not sure if a dentist or oral surgeon does throat cultures.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have a gum disease. Peridonitis I believe is the name. The roof of my mouth is also red and swollen. I had a blood test done right before I got sick and all was well. I was on a keto diet when I got sick. I stopped it since I didn’t know what was going on. My gallbladder has been removed. I have gastritis. I have a hyenl hernia and the doctor put me on a prescription for acid reflux and I started taking a probiotic.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My throat and chest has a burning sensation also. It’s not constant. I’ve been sick for about a month but I don’t know what my options are with no health insurance. I’m really scared!
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Should I go to the ER or to the oral surgeon?
5/31/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 24 days ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

hi...Can you upload me an image of the throat and oral cavity without flash so that I can have a look and guide you better please.

By what you say - it may be viral or bacterial pharyngitis - unlikely bacterial as Amoxicillin did not give you relief.

nevertheless - upload an image please.

I suggest you get a rapid streptococcal antigen test done. The best option will be a sincere physician who does it himself or a internal medicine specialist. If it is positive then you will require antibiotics, now the best drug will be wither Clindamycin or Azithromycin as already Amoxicillin has been used recently with no results.Iif it is negative then it might be viral illness and doesn't require antibiotics at all.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I tried to take a picture of my throat but you can’t really see because it’s too dark in my throat. I am going back to the clinic and I’ll call and ask to be tested for pharyngitis.
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 23 days ago
If you need more help, please reply to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, your 5-star rating (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort) at this time is greatly appreciated".