Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took a drug test today I did not do any drugs but I had…

Customer Question
I took a drug...

I took a drug test today I did not do any drugs but I had sexual encounters with with someone that did is that possible for me to fail

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I tested positive for cocaine but i didn't do any but he did is it passes through semen
5/31/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 18 days ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

No, a sexual encounter with someone that uses drugs would not cause you to fail a drug test.

If the test was done today and you already have the results, that would typically be from a screening test, and there is a fair amount of false positives on screening tests, even in people that are not taking any other substances that have been identified to cause false positives. Was the urine specimen sent for a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
it was
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
She sent it to Las for testing
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I don't have the money to call

It is fine if you do not want to call. We can finish via text, but it will take several minutes to type an answer

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
They did send it to Lad to get the get the final results so it should come back negative from the lad correct the test done waz a 4 panel urine dip test

If the only issue is whether you could have been exposed through sex, then you will definitely not test positive on the confirmatory test, which will show that the screening test was a false positive. The amount of cocaine in semen is like most body fluids, and is measured in ng. This compares to the usual dose of cocaine taken fro recreation that is measured in mg, which is a million times higher than the ng in the semen. Even if there is absorption of this small amount, it will then be so diluted in the recipient that it will not exceed the threshold of detection for a urine drug test.

So, if you are confident that there is no other potential exposure, such as the partner surreptitiously giving you cocaine, then you can be equally confident that the confirmatory test will be negative.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor