Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I started eliquis three weeks ago and am suffering from

Customer Question
I started eliquis three...

I started eliquis three weeks ago and am suffering from swelling in feet, legs which has resulted in retention of around 10 lbs of fluid. I have some diaretic pills. Is it safe to take them with eliquis?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am not allergic to any medications. I take carvedilol, losartan hctz, synthroid, oxybutynin,, Januvia ,invokana, metformin, lantuss injection, glimepiride,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I collapsed from blood clots in both lungs and a dvt in left leg between knee and ankle four weeks ago I have thyroid disease, I am diabetic, I have high blood pressure and heart arrythemia I bloat from several medications but it was under control until the eliquis I have gained ten pounds of water. Should I take a diaretic I have. I will call doctor but want to make sure that I am not in danger from the added swelling on my legs and feet from additional blood clots.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/31/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 2 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Awaiting your reply

Losartan HCTZ contains Hydrochlorothiazide, which is a diuretic.

Adding another diuretic thus would not be advised as it may cause electrolyte imbalances. Also with your present medications, another diuretic is further not advised.

Keep the legs elevated as much as possible is recommended. Avoid standing for the prolonged time.

Keep leg end of bed elevated.

When you sit, keep it on side stool.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Would floating in my pool or doing some light excersizes in the pool help reduce the swelling.

Yes, it would help.

That can be done.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.