Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had knee surgery for a meniscus tear about 3 weeks ago. I…

Customer Question
I had knee surgery...

I had knee surgery for a meniscus tear about 3 weeks ago. I was doing great until about 5 days ago. Now I have excruciating pain on my inner knee down to my calf. Please tell me what is going on

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I do not have any swelling. It doesn't hurt until I start walking after about 10 steps. I have iced it after my knee exercises

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a rare blood disorder called Schnitzler's Syndrome and I take Kineret injections daily for it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Is this a similar pain as you had before surgery (the pain down into the calf)?

Or is it something completely new?

Is the knee red, hot, tender?

Do you have pain elsewhere, like in your lower back?

This is a different kind of pain. the knee is not hot or tender. I do not have pain anywhere else
It only hurts when I walk (put pressure on my leg). It was not hurting before about a week ago
Why hasn't anyone answered me?

Hello -

Sorry for the delay, the computer did not notify me that you had answered the question.

The type of pain you are describing now is a bit unusual for knee pain from a meniscal injury (which tends to be more in the knee, with a feeling of instability or "locking up" of the knee).

The fact that it radiates down into the calf, and that it starts after walking, and relieved by resting it seems to suggest that it could be related to a nerve issue, and perhaps in the lower back.

Issues with sciatica, or a "pinched" nerve in the lower back could also cause back of the knee pain, with pain into the calf -- that worsens with walking or standing, and improved by resting and sitting.

It may be something that goes away on its own -- but if it does not, MRI of the lumbar spine can be helpful.

You should also discuss this with your orthopedic surgeon (because they did your recent surgery) to make sure there isn't anything unusual in your case that could also cause this type of pain. I am not as worried about a post-operative infection (no redness, hot, tenderness, swelling).

Best of luck.