Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last week a went to get a physical and a TB and Hepatitis…

Customer Question
Last week a went...

Last week a went to get a physical and a TB and Hepatitis B vaccine as part of my pre-employment screening. Got everything done, but now it seems that the nurse forgot to log in the system the Hepatitis B vaccine and there are no records of me getting it. Now, my employer wants me to go get it a second time in a week. Would that be safe? Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Symptoms?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Absolutely no risk in repeating the HBV vaccine if no record available .

You can go ahead with that .

Thanks

You are most welcome.

Wish you all the best .

Please remember to reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards

I can get the same heppatitis B vaccine within a week time???
My question is if it is safe to get the same vaccine within a weeks time

Anti HBs levels should be done . If more then 100 mIU/ml then no need for a repeat vaccination

In case these levels cant be done ,vaccination is still safe

Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including hepatitis b and its vaccination schedules. I see you have asked for a new professional, and I am very glad to help you with your health questions.

To your questions - :Now, my employer wants me to go get it a second time in a week. Would that be safe?”, “So, I can get the same hepatitis B vaccine within a week time???” and “My question is if it is safe to get the same vaccine within a weeks time?”

The answer is yes, yes it is definitely safe to receive an extra dose of same hep b vaccine within a week after receiving the first dose

I see you had actually received the hep b shot, but it is just the nurse forgot to log in the system

So you have received a dose of it already, but since your employer wants you to have it against since they do not know whether you actually have received the first dose or not, but yes you can certainly have it again now within a week’s time

The extra dose of the same hep b vaccine is not going to affect you in any way, either in the form of any side effects or adverse reactions or also in the form of weakening the immunity against hep b virus

There are actually few different hep b vaccination schedules administered as follows;

A) The commonest one done is giving 3 doses, as 0, 1 month, and 6 months, where 0 is the first day of vaccination, then 1 month and 6 month later two more doses

B) If faster immunity is required there is a rapid immunization schedule where one will receive the shots on 0, 1 month, 2 month, and a booster dose after about 12 months

C) If still faster immunity is required then there is a very rapid method of vaccination schedule where one will receive shots on 0, 7 days, 21 days and then a booster dose after about 12 months

So as you see the second dose can be taken earlier than the usual schedule of 1 month, and with the very rapid immunization method it is taken about just 7 days or 1 week after the first dose

However since you have asked a question pertaining to specifically receiving a second shot within a week’s time, please see the official recommendations are to give a gap of at least 7 days or a week’s time after the first dose – as you can see above - but there are some studies done where two doses were given on the very first day itself, means on day 0 itself two doses were given to someone wo wanted rapid immunity against hep b virus

These individuals received double dose of the same vaccine on day 0 itself

And the results showed the immunity developed was either same or even better than the usual other schedules

So this clearly shows receiving an extra dose of hep b vaccine is not at all dangerous and also it may even benefit you too.

This is an article from a very authentic source that tells hep b vaccine can be given just after 7 days from the first dose;

http://www.who.int/ith/vaccines/hepatitisB/en/

This is the article from another very authentic source thattells hep b vaccine can even be given as double dose during the very first shot itself;

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/21/4/260/1802146

So once again to your main question, so when it comes to hep b vaccination schedule, the 1 month gap between the first two doses is just a commonly adopted schedule, but if faster immunization is necessary then the second shot can be taken earlier too, and as early as during the first dose itself in the form of a double dose, so in your case although you have received the first dose but receiving another hep b shot now, even if it is within a week’s time from the first dose now should not be of any concern at all, it is safe and no unexpected side effects or adverse reactions are expected to occur, and also the immunity is expected to be at least as good as the usual schedule of maintaining a gap of about 1 month between the first two doses of vaccination, so if your employer wants you to have another hep b vaccine shot now you can certainly go ahead and take it, and there should not be any concerns at all in this regard.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

For future questions you can follow up either here, or you can reach me directly with "a question for Dr Subbanna MD" through my Just Answer direct link mentioned below here;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

Hi, I see you have not yet rated my answer, is it because you are not satisfied with the above answer, or is it due to some technical glitches? If you are not satisfied with my answer and if you are still looking for more information please let me know and I will be very glad to continue assisting you as long as you need my services, and until you are fully satisfied. On the otherhand if rating was not done due to any technical glitches preventing you from rating please let me know and I can bring this to the notice of the company and they can help in fixing this glitch.

Please let me know.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD