Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Went to the er and all tests including an MRI came up

Customer Question
Went to the er...

Went to the er and all tests including an MRI came up negative. I can barely walk due to the right flank pain and lower back pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Only laying down eases it but not fully. No recent injuries

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a knee replacement in April but I'm doing well with that.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Did they do the MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine?

Did they rule out other issues like a kidney stone?

OK.

How long has this been going on?

Have you been seen by your primary care doctor, and do they have any further plan for evaluation?

I have not seen them as of yet due to the extended wait time. It has progressively gotten worse over the last two weeks. To the point that the only way I am somewhat comfortable is laying flat. Walking, even to the restroom in my small house is impossible without help of some kind.

OK.

It's a bit tough since you seem to have these tests done which apparently don't show anything.

People with pain that worsens when standing, comfortable laying flat -- I would want to make sure that there is no potential issue with a fracture of the spine.

A compression fracture can cause severe debilitating type of back pain, that seems to significantly get better, when the "weight" is taken off the spine.

I'm sure they ruled out the kidney stone and other infection issues like a urinary tract / kidney infection.

Issues with disc herniations "pinching" nerves would have been ruled out with the MRIs.

Herpes zoster can cause severe pain, but often would have a rash in the area (and wouldn't magically get better by lying down).

It could also be a serious muscle strain in the lower back, but we would expect that to improve over the course of a few weeks.

It may be helpful to get further evaluation with a pain management specialist if you can't get into see your regular doctor, as they can help to evaluate your pain.

Thank you.

Sorry we can't pinpoint any further over the Internet, but I hope you can see your doctor in person soon.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!