Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have type 1 diabetes. My blood sugar went from 577 to

Customer Question
I have type 1...

I have type 1 diabetes. My blood sugar went from 577 to HI multiple times over the last hour. I have never really been this high before and I'm starting to feel heavy/tingly/sick. I have taken insulin. Should I contact emergency help?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I started using an insulin pump (Omnipod) recently and my numbers have been Ok to

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Slow thyroid

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Medical
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 25 days ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated symptoms of fatigue, thirst, excess urination, or blurry vision?

How many units of Insulin have you taken last time and when have you taken?

'

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
thirst, urination, fatigue--feeling heavy, tingly, a little numb, nausea; I took 4.4 units when it was 577. I took 3.6 units when it was HI, based on the suggest bolus on my insulin pod.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, I would strongly recommend visiting an emergency room.

As such high blood sugar levels suggest a possibility of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) from pump malfunction or absorption problems.

You may require prompt management after checking for Ketones in urine.

Don't consider a wait and watch approach as you are having symptoms.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.