Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am reading the results of a blood test from quest and my…

Customer Question
I am reading the...

I am reading the results of a blood test from quest and my GGT is 219 u/l. Is that considered mildly high or dangerously high?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Blood

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had my gallbladder removed in 2013 and have had trouble with alcohol. my last drink was on april 27th, and this blood sample that was tested was taken on may 23rd

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/30/2018
Doctor: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Do you suffer from pain abdomen, bloating, flatulence, nausea, yellow stools?

Are you taking any medicines?

What about your other liver function parameters results?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Male, age 36. ALP is 118, AST is 88 and AST is 36. I've been taking pain meds because I broke my heal on 5/15/18. For the first 5 days, it was oxycondone 5-325 mg, and since it's just been occassional advil or tylenol

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, considering that your levels are not significantly elevated, I agree that there is not much to be concerned about. However, common reasons why the AST and GGT are elevated include:

Fatty liver (steatosis),
Alcoholic liver disease,
Liver inflammation from medications as you have taken pain medicines.

You should maintain a good hydration.

And repeat testing after 4 weeks when you would discontinue pain medicines.

Your parameters will come back to normal.

Abstain from alcohol consumption.

Avoid fat-rich food.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.