Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does it mean when an mri on the ankle says a ligament…

Customer Question
What does it mean...

What does it mean when an mri on the ankle says a ligament is not visable?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I've been given Norco but haven't really been taking it. I saw a PA who said that meant they were torn

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just 2 missing ligaments, 3 strained ones and a swelling of the achilies tendon.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Initial injury occurred about 3 months ago but the ankle kept rolling up until a month ago. There is no data yet on the other ankle injury. they also said there was debris in the ankle...?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old are you?

38

Do you have a copy of the mRI?

no

Can you get one for me?

I have a report

perfect that is all I need

FINDINGS:Bones: No fracture. No osteochondral lesion of the talar dome or tibial
plafond.Joint spaces: Small ankle effusion. No visible intra-articular loose body. No
signal abnormality in the sinus tarsi.Tendons: The extensor tendons are intact. The Achilles tendon demonstrates
fusiform dilatation of the distal 4 cm, returning to normal thickness at the
calcaneal attachment, without significant fluid in the retrocalcaneal bursa or
Kager's fat. The flexor tendons demonstrate mild tenosynovitis of the
posterior tibialis with some debris in the distal tendon sheath just proximal
to the navicular attachment, seen best on axial images 18 through 20 of series
4 and 5. Tenosynovitis of the peroneus longus and brevis tendons beginning
below the lateral malleolus and extending to the peroneal tubercle.Ligaments: The anterior tibiofibular ligament is thickened. The anterior
talofibular ligament is disrupted and not visualized. The calcaneofibular
ligament is also not seen. The posterior tibiofibular and talofibular
ligaments appear intact.Muscles: No muscle mass. Nonspecific mild fatty replacement of the plantar
calcaneal musculature.Soft tissues: No soft tissue mass or fluid collection.IMPRESSION:
1. Achilles tendinosis.
2. Mild diffuse synovitis of the posterior tibialis tendon with some debris
in the distal tendon sheath just proximal to the navicular attachment.
3. Mild tenosynovitis of the peroneus longus and brevis tendons, focally
between the lateral malleolus and peroneal tubercle.
4. Abnormal thickening of the anterior tibial fibular ligament with full
thickness disruption of the anterior talofibular and calcaneofibular ligaments.
5. Nonspecific fatty replacement of the plantar calcaneal musculature.Authenticated By:
05/20/18 0703
__________________________________
Tracey O'Connell MDFINDINGS:Bones: No fracture. No osteochondral lesion of the talar dome or tibial
1. Achilles tendinosis.
05/20/18 0703
__________________________________
Tracey O'Connell MD
should I resubmit my question?

Yes, I see.

So basically the ligaments are completely torn

how bad are your symptoms?