Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Will Vitamin K 2 help with calcium deposits in arteries of…

Customer Question
Will Vitamin K 2...

Will Vitamin K 2 help with calcium deposits in arteries of heart?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Yes, there is a high history of heart disease ( first heart attack in 40's), aneurysm ( death at 47), in my family. I also have had an ablation for extra electrical pathways; I have LBBB; and I have an enlarged left atrium. I have calcium deposits in my breast also.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My pancreas has atrophied, my gall bladder removed, and the sphincter of Oddi bypassed. I have osteoporosis. I have in last two years due because of accidents broken ribs, wrist pelvis, heel, and knee cap. I have severe back pain from S curve scoliosis w/ rotation.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
I have one kidney smaller than the other and it drains more slowly. I had a hernia surgery during which the bowel was cut and no one noticed. This results in removal of all muscles, tissue, and skin across abdomen. I was bedridden for months as skin grew back close to 2 fistulas. Abdomen closed several months later. Also was on Vit D, 50,000 units once a week for 3 years or so.. Have B12 deficiency and take monthly shots. Have been on calcium supplements for years and, in addition to drugs for reflux, I also need to supplement with Tums.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

T​hanks for your question. Unfortunately, Vitamin K2 has not been proven to reduce calcium deposition in the heart. In general, the proven methods for reducing calcium in the heart, the following are important:

- Controlling or preventing high blood pressure

- Reducing bad cholesterol in the blood

- Weight loss, for a person who is carrying a bit of extra weight

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.

I cannot rate the doctor. I lack sufficient imformation.

O​k, no problem. If I can answer any other questions for you, please ask them now. When you are ready to rate me, please click the "Accept Answer" section, then select the number of stars to rate me. Thanks.

Dr. Greg