Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to pass a gall stone naturally. On yesterday…

Customer Question
Is it possible to...

Is it possible to pass a gall stone naturally

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

On yesterday I went to the ER due to having on-going pain in my upper stomach and back. I also threw up twice during the day. They completed blood work and took a ultra sound

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I just woke up on Monday morning about 3 am with sharp pains.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The results of the test indicated that my kidney and liver was normal. My gallstone wall is 4mm. They did not find any inflammation. I am scheduled to see a doctor on Friday to further discuss but wanted to get an option before the visit

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Medical
5/29/2018
Doctor: Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD replied 24 days ago
Dr. Jon
Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD
Hi there. I’m Dr. Jon. I’ll be happy to help answer your question.
Most gallstones are actually passed without intervention and many are passed even without symptoms. However, the issue is what happens if a future gallstone does not pass on its own. This can cause a blockage in the bile ducts and cause a very serious infection. That is why if someone has frequent issues with gallstones often the gallbladder will be removed even if the stones have previously passed without intervention. This would be to prevent future complications that could be potentially serious. This is not always recommended as it depends on the frequency as well as the results of the tests af imaging studies done.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
This is my first flare up and I understand what you are saying. Question - Once you have a flare up and if there is nothing chronic displaying on the images, is there a situation where a doctor will try to use alternative methods versus utilizing surgery or is the primary intervention surgery once you have a flare-up.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What are other options that are utilized instead of surgery. If it is determined that I need surgery I will move forward but I don't want this to be my only option if there are other alternative methods
Usually dietary changes and other medica things like management of cholesterol for instance would be the first things that would be done. Surgery usually isn’t the first thing to do after one flare unless there is some risk factor with the anatomy for future occurrences.
Some studies have shown benefit to doing surgery early even in uncomplicated cases but honestly the evidence is unclear if this is the best approach or not. Surgery is the definitive fix and would limit risk of complications from gallstones going forward but of course the surgery itself also has risks. So if conservative management was preferred it would be reasonable to try this first.

Please let me know if you have additional follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, a 5-star rating is appreciated so I may continue to give high quality answers on the site. If you have further medical questions in the future, I'd be happy to help you with them.

Doctor: Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD replied 18 days ago

Hi there. I see this question is still open. Please let me know how I can further assist you. Otherwise please provide a 5-star rating so I can close this question.