Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had two swollen lymph nodes located on the left side…

I have had two...

I have had two swollen lymph nodes located on the left side of my neck for about a year now. One is towards the lower left side of my neck and it is soft and movable the other one is located on the lower left side of my neck where the traps meet the neck when I press on that one it does feel hard but it moves. Maybe it feels hard because it’s deep in my neck. Again it’s been a year I feel fine and it hasn’t grown at all neither one. I do smoke cigs and I usually smoke a pack when I do smoke in a few hours which I know is too fast to smoke cigs other days I smoke a few to none. Please give me some insight and should I be concerned

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

One year and no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Anxiety and acid reflux

5/29/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

just because you can feel a lymph node doesn't mean it is enlarged

how large are these lymph nodes in your neck.

it is normal to be able to feel 1-2cm lymph nodes in your neck.

I am a cancer doctor

if you are worried about cancer in your neck lymph nodes, you really should quit smoking

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, there are treatments for anxiety which can help

These lyphm nodes in my neck aren’t large at all. Again it’s been a year hasn’t grown at all and it’s small. I recently quite smoking I’m 33 and I started smoking at 19 but quite between the years on and off. Probably smoked for a total of ten years. Would you be concerned about these lymph nodes and what’s the odds of it being serious or cancer related. Thank you for your help it’s much appreciated

no, I wouldn't be concerned about having cancer in the lymph nodes

cancer in lymph nodes would increase in size over time.

the odds of cancer are less than one in million chance.

there is nothing here pointing to cancer.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

if you were I you would just leave it alone and not be concerned about anything

yes, I would just leave them alone

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician