Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I take methadone for pain but need a new drug in Orange

Customer Question
I take methadone for...

I take methadone for pain but need a new drug in Orange county or la any suggestions

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I've had 3 back fusions this is since 91

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just surgeries

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Medical
5/29/2018
Doctor: Camille-Mod,
 replied 25 days ago
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille and I'm a moderator for this topic. While I am not trying to discourage you from getting help from our Experts, I want you to know that we do not offer prescription service of any kind. This means that we are unable to provide any type of medication, including prescription refills, nor can our Experts recommend a Doctor that can write certain prescriptions for you. If you are in need of medication, we recommend that you make an appointment with your local Doctor or clinic.
Please let me know if you want to continue with your question, or if you prefer that I cancel this for you.
Thank you,
Camille - Moderator
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is suboxin And methadone basically the same drug or do the same things
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 23 days ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are several similarities between Suboxone and Methadone, but also some differences. The opioid in Suboxone is buprenorphine.

Both buprenorphine and Methadone are long acting opioids. Consequently both can be used for pain management, usually only needing once daily dosing. Both also are used to treat people with opioid addiction, as the long-acting nature of the drugs minimizes peaks and valleys, so do not cause the high that most opioid addicts are seeking.

The key difference between buprenorphine and methadone is that the buprenorphine is an opioid agonist-antagonist. This means that while the buprenorphine primarily stimulates the opiate receptor, it also will block the opiate receptor as the dose is increased. This means that there is a ceiling of the opioid effect of buprenorphine. It also means that if someone that is currently taking another opioid and then takes buprenorphine before the first opioid is out of their system, the buprenorphine will block some of the effect of the first opioid, which can precipitate withdrawal symptoms.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.