Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have suffered from arthritis and knee problems for years.

Customer Question
I have suffered from arthritis...

I have suffered from arthritis and knee problems for years. I met Dr. Herbert Allen and I thought he was the answer to my prayers. My first visit I was in so much pain, he gave me 5 or 6 cortisone shots. I was amazed because all of the Ortho doctors I seen before had never done that. The other doctors would always give me one or two shots every few months. I felt better for a little while, except my knee continued to hurt so much. Every surgeon I had seen turned me down because I was under 50. Dr. Allen found a surgeon who agreed to do the most painful surgery I have ever had. The pain was profound because Dr. Allen had me on oxycodone, 15mg, 4 times a day. That amount was more than they actually give you post op. The pain was hell. I woke up post op screaming. My blood pressure and heart rate would not stay down. He over-medicated me so the medication at the hospital was not working. We eventually dropped from 15 to 10 mg, 3x a day. I hurt so bad later I returned to him. I told him at night I hurt so much. I told him that I had taken an extra pain pill at night for a few nights and I asked him for either a sleeping pill, an anti-inflammatory or anything else that could help me at night. I also told him I wanted off the pain meds. He told me I needed them to remain functional because of my knee. I was honest when I told him that I was going to run short, because I was taking one extra at night. He put his hand on my shoulder and said no problem dear, don't stress, we will take care of it. I will give you some more pain meds for sleeping at night and I said ok. Then he came in with more cortisone shots instead of what I asked for. They made me an appointment for a week after. I came back in a week, still hurting. I told him I was out of pain meds so I asked him for medication for withdrawal. Once again he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "don't worry I am going to give enough medicine till time to refill." He asked if I had my prescription to be filled on the 15th and I said yes. He gave me one week of medicine and I took it exactly as it said. Then on the 15th, I went to refill my medication. They called him and I was told I could not refill for a week. I was very confused. If I had medication, why did he give me more? I called to talk very calmly and explain that there had been some confusion. If I can't fill it for a week because of a big mess up, just call me in something for withdrawal because I have been on these meds for six months. I had developed Tachycardia, probably from too much cortisone. It was very dangerous for me to stop cold turkey. I took 10mg, 3 times a day, which is not enough to get high and barely enough to cover my joint pain that has gotten worse. I am 45 with a body that feels 60. I went two days with no meds and after twisting and jerking, I ended up with a swollen sternum and may have to bed for approximately six weeks while it heals. Then today I received a letter stating that I engaged in drug seeking behavior and Dr. Allen was dropping me as a patient. I have a witness that was in the office with me that can testify that I did everything he told me to do. I never sought drugs other than what I was suppose to have to get better. Now, in my medical file, it states that I am drug seeker. That I believe is called a deformation of character. Dr. Allen said he would take care of me over and over for his miracle shots that helped the arthritis pain. I did not know that these at least 25 shots over the last year could cause so many problems. He was the doctor, he was suppose to know. I have never had heart or blood pressure problems that I know of until now, my joints have continually gotten worse and I stay sick all the time. These are all symptoms of the overuse of cortisone. Dr. Allen is very old, very forgetful and is doing more harm then good. 1) Do I have a case against him. 2) Can I get the drug seeker thing out of my file. Anyone who knows me, knows I hate being on all theses medications. I don’t take my pain meds unless I have too. If I had enough medication, ehh did he give me an extra weeks worth. I told I was taking them at night when the pain he worse and he told me it was ok, he would fix it. I had s great pain management doctor but I left to see him so it was one less doctor to see. That was a huge mistake. I can’t go back to them because I dropped them. He has messed my life up. I am 13 weeks past my knee replacement. It could hurt up to s year.

Detail Required: LOW; Urgency: LOW

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Medical
5/29/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 20 days ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I have suffered from arthritis and knee problems for years. I met Dr. Herbert Allen and I thought he was the answer to my prayers. My first visit I was in so much pain, he gave me 5 or 6 cortisone shots. I was amazed because all of the Ortho doctors I seen before had never done that. The other doctors would always give me one or two shots every few months. I felt better for a little while, except my knee continued to hurt so much. Every surgeon I had seen turned me down because I was under 50. Dr. Allen found a surgeon who agreed to do the most painful surgery I have ever had. The pain was profound because Dr. Allen had me on oxycodone, 15mg, 4 times a day. That amount was more than they actually give you post op. The pain was hell. I woke up post op screaming. My blood pressure and heart rate would not stay down. He over-medicated me so the medication at the hospital was not working. We eventually dropped from 15 to 10 mg, 3x a day. I hurt so bad later I returned to him. I told him at night I hurt so much. I told him that I had taken an extra pain pill at night for a few nights and I asked him for either a sleeping pill, an anti-inflammatory or anything else that could help me at night. I also told him I wanted off the pain meds. He told me I needed them to remain functional because of my knee. I was honest when I told him that I was going to run short, because I was taking one extra at night. He put his hand on my shoulder and said no problem dear, don't stress, we will take care of it. I will give you some more pain meds for sleeping at night and I said ok. Then he came in with more cortisone shots instead of what I asked for. They made me an appointment for a week after. I came back in a week, still hurting. I told him I was out of pain meds so I asked him for medication for withdrawal. Once again he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "don't worry I am going to give enough medicine till time to refill." He asked if I had my prescription to be filled on the 15th and I said yes. He gave me one week of medicine and I took it exactly as it said. Then on the 15th, I went to refill my medication. They called him and I was told I could not refill for a week. I was very confused. If I had medication, why did he give me more? I called to talk very calmly and explain that there had been some confusion. If I can't fill it for a week because of a big mess up, just call me in something for withdrawal because I have been on these meds for six months. I had developed Tachycardia, probably from too much cortisone. It was very dangerous for me to stop cold turkey. I took 10mg, 3 times a day, which is not enough to get high and barely enough to cover my joint pain that has gotten worse. I am 45 with a body that feels 60. I went two days with no meds and after twisting and jerking, I ended up with a swollen sternum and may have to bed for approximately six weeks while it heals. Then today I received a letter stating that I engaged in drug seeking behavior and Dr. Allen was dropping me as a patient. I have a witness that was in the office with me that can testify that I did everything he told me to do. I never sought drugs other than what I was suppose to have to get better. Now, in my medical file, it states that I am drug seeker. That I believe is called a deformation of character. Dr. Allen said he would take care of me over and over for his miracle shots that helped the arthritis pain. I did not know that these at least 25 shots over the last year could cause so many problems. He was the doctor, he was suppose to know. I have never had heart or blood pressure problems that I know of until now, my joints have continually gotten worse and I stay sick all the time. These are all symptoms of the overuse of cortisone. Dr. Allen is very old, very forgetful and is doing more harm then good. Can I force him to remove the drug seeker thing from my file? Can all these shots of cortisone cause long lasting effects? Do You think I should talk to a lawyer about a malpractice suit?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I can not afford the 50 dollars.
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 18 days ago

I'm very sorry about all of this.

It is not malpractice to do this and you can't force him to remove anything from the chart.

It is your medical record though and you have a right to see it.

How often are the cortisone shots now?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I quit seeing him. My primary care doctor said I will have to wait a very long while before I got any more shots of cortisone. I see a new pain management doctor tomorrow.

so you are worried the new pain guy will see that You are labeled a drug seeker?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
very worried that this will follow me. I am not a drug seeker. I am in a lot of pain from the knee replacement and was told it is normal, and I am hitting the milestones. I never take enough to get high, just enough to keep the pain down to function. I am scared when I am in pain that they say I just want drugs. The only drug I asked for is a good anti inflammatory and a sleeping pill, because I wake up at 2 hurting every night. He would not give me a sleeping pill. He said that is what the pain meds are for.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Just like I said I told him I had taken a one in the middle of the night, since he would not give me anything to help me sleep. He said that was fine, he would just increase my medication, but first he wanted try more shots and come back in a week. I told him I was going to be short and he said dont worry about it. I came back in a week. He gave me a weeks worth of pain meds. I took those for a week and went to fill my prescription and they said I had to wait a extra week, because he gave me and extra week. I called and said there must be some missunderstanding. He knew I was going to be short, which is why he gave the extra prescription. Then he told the pharmacist a whole other story. I call them and said that is not what he told me, but fine could they please give something to keep me from going through withdrawal because I have heart condidtion. I am tacacardic, which may be caused from the over use of cortizone. He told them fill the prescription. Sent me a letter dropping me as a patient because I was a drug seeker. It is embarrassing and untrue. What recourse do I have?

You have to find another doctor

that is the only recourse

not much you can do

Family Physician, Doctor