Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having lots of fluid discharge from my ear for…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having lots of fluid discharge from my ear for the last several weeks. I went to Urgent Care 3 days ago and was diagnosed with a possible ear infection, I was prescribed medicated drops and an antibiotic about an hour ago my ear started draining blood. Should I go to emergency. I do not have pain--but I do have ringing in the ear.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

No dizziness. no fever

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a T Tube in my ear--it's been in for 12 years. Before that I had two smaller tubes that eventually fell out. My left eustacian tube is the size of a 5 year old child.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/29/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Depends on the type of blood that is discharging. If it is fresh red blood then yes, you need to go to the ER. Fresh red blood is bright red and usually appears as blood clots and is in large quantities. If this is dried or dark colored old blood and is just an ooze and scanty in amount or admixed with pus or straw-colored fluid, then this is something normally seen in otitis media (middle ear infections).

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you