Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Side effects on taking Metformin. I am taking Bystolic,Zocor…

Customer Question
Side effects on taking...

Side effects on taking Metformin

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am taking Bystolic,Zocor Metformin, Losartin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am overweight but I have since cut out sugar nearly 100%

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
All I have done here is ask a simple question and all I need is a simple answer, nothing more, please do not make this more serious than it is, thank you
5/29/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The most common side effect from metformin is lower GI upset, primarily diarrhea, but also can cause increased flatulence, bloating, or cramping. It is less common that metformin can cause upper GI symptoms such as nausea or vomiting. It is also possible, although less common, that metofrmin can cause muscle aches, weakness, or dizziness.

There also is a very rare but potentially very serious side effect called lactic acidosis. This occurs more often in people with liver or kidney dysfunction. Lactic acid is a breakdown product of sugar, and a build-up of lactic acid can cause various symptoms, such as generalized weakness, shortness of breath, or decreased level of alertness.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Thank you Dr for your answer, I have none of those symptoms

The vast majority of people do not get any side effects from metform; it is generally very well tolerated. That is one of the reasons why it is recommended as first-line therapy for diabetes. However, when side effects occur, the side effects that I noted are the primary issue.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?