Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When I get tired. I take a break. Then my insides feel like…

Customer Question
When I get tired...

When I get tired . I take a break. Then my insides feel like I am freezing to death . I shiver and shake under 2 blankets, inside the house in 80 degree weather . I have fibromyalgia, My sisters have lupus. Do you think it is either of these causing these symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Actually it has been going on for about 4 years now and if it’s not happening when I go to dr to renew my meds I don’t think about it . But getting more frequent now . At least once a week now . I take allergy meds, cholesterol meds, thyroid meds , adhd meds , vitamins : d, c, e, b12, and clonidine , Zyrtec, and Benedryl to sleep .

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies to meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I sweat horribly in the winter as well as the summer .

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Medical
5/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 27 days ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering from episodes of shivering and coldness. It is possible that lupus could cause this, but much less likely to be Fibromyalgia.

There are a few other (more common) potential causes that we should consider:

- Anemia - a person with low blood counts will have the feeling of always being cold, and fatigue.

- Hypothyroidism - low thyroid hormone levels can affect the bodies ability to regulate the temperature. I see that you are taking a thyroid medication, and I hope that your levels have remained stable. Sometimes, if the dose is too low, a person can have these symptoms.

- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) - if your blood sugar drops when you are working and not eating, this could cause a cold sensation.

Overall, I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor to be examined and complete blood tests to make sure this is nothing serious. I hope this resolves soon. Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.