Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have arithmea and congestive heart failure. Last year a…

Customer Question
I have arithmea and...

I have arithmea and congestive heart failure. Last year a heart monitor was inserted. I kept passing out. My brain was losing 3 seconds and down I would go. I kept drinking the same amount of water which was 2 liters of water and one cup of coffee.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My father had arithemia.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I keep gaining and losing weight as much as 5 lbs. to 10 lbs.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.
Do you have any specific questions about your medications or your treatment plan?
You may ignore any phone call requests as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.
My father died from a heart attack, but he was an alcoholic too. I'm concerned most about my weight, but I don't want to have my lungs fill up with water and drown me at the heart level. One time in my past my feet up to my waist filled up with water and my husband took me to the emergency room. I was taken to ICU and pumped with lasix. I urinated over the next few days and lost 20 lbs. The nurses told me not to get into that condition again or I could really endanger my health. This was a few years ago, before my pacemaker. Thanks, Cheri
Hello Cheri, thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like the fluctuations in your weight is from fluid balance. Because of your congestive heart failure, your heart is not able to effectively pump blood so water build up might occur- mostly in the legs and lungs. Are you taking a water pill? You may need to adjust the dose of the water pill if your weight increases 5 or more pounds in a day. Of course, if is very important to monitor and limit your salt intake. Salt tends to make you retain even more fluid so this is not good.