Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am an iv drug user of methamphetamine. Around an hour and…

Customer Question
I am an iv...

I am an iv drug user of methamphetamine. Around an hour and a half ago I injected myself in the right arm at the inner elbow. A few minutes later my arm felt very hot and this stayed like this for about half an hour. In the past hour I have felt pressure Nd hardened knots at various points theoughout my arms and in the past thirty minutes I have had a pressure and pain moving slowly up my inner left arm and then a tingling sensation moving slowly down the outside of my left arm

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

My concern is if this is a possible blood clot and if so what immediate action to take

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

90 minutes No I dont think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

If this a blood clot that is progressing quickly, then it would be better for you to be seen. If there is a superficial blood clot, that is not as worrisome, and management with the local application of moist heat along with an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, would be reasonable. But if the blood clot is extending into a deep vein, that is more serious and more aggressive treatment would be necessary, particularly with anticoagulants, and that would require being seen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.