Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My prescription for potassium specifies 20 MEQ per tablet,

Customer Question
My prescription for potassium...

My prescription for potassium specifies 20 MEQ per tablet, my doctor prescribed two per day. My supply has run out so I want to use over the counter potassium.which comes in 99mg pills. How many 99mg tablets should I take.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Pny

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

The over the counter pills will naturally be weaker than the prescription product. 20 mEq of potassium chloride is 1500 mg of potassium chloride. These pills are essentially 100 mg, so 15 of these pills are essentially equivalent to one 20 mEq pill. And that would need to be taken twice daily to be equivalent to your current prescription dose.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?