Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having sharp chest pains radiating to the back…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having sharp chest pains radiating to the back under the shoulder blades. I have had tests for the heart and all clear there. Had angiogram but pain still occuring not after eating but can be in bed or sitting. Like a knife cutting my chest.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No shortness of breath I have had pain for about a month

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Years ago I had a hiatus hernia I have had a stroke 2 years ago

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Medical
5/28/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 27 days ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please could you indicate the following information?

How old are you?

Do you have any medical conditions and do you take any meds?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
79 years old AFS yes Tambacoor and eliquis for blood

Dear friend, for the symptoms that you describe very well, in fact it is a condition called intercostal neuralgia, these symptoms when they become severe.

It is also important to evaluate your stomach, since gastric reflux due to gastritis can generate esophagitis which can also generate this thoracic pain or intercostal nerualgia worsening the symptoms.

just below each ribs from the neck and all the ribs run nerves, which by the effect of contraction of the muscles intercostal during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get up from the bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases its contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating this pain and inflammation characteristic of the area, depending on the intensity at some time can even feel that lack of breathing and can extend to the affected arm as a crash or to the stomach, now this is temporary but needs medication and rest, should not lift any heavy object. So you should not be alarmed but stress and anxiety make it worse since it is nerves that are affected.

The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates that involves stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting in front of the desk. Since all this prevents muscle contractures from occurring, avoiding neural compression.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg (1) one tablet at night for 10 days as it generates a little sleep In addition to intramuscular b12 complex 1 intramuscular a single dose, this will relieve symptoms but should reduce stress

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.