Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a total knee replacement on Oct 16, 2017. I was told…

Customer Question
I had a total...

I had a total knee replacement on Oct 16, 2017. I was told thursday by my surgery that there is an infection in the knee, he wants to take the appliance out, place me on antibiotics for 6 weeks IV, cement my knee so I can't bend it, then wait to see if the antibiotic works and if it does he will replace it. Is there no other treatment for this?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

There has been swelling for the past 3 weeks, he injected the knee for tendinits 3 weeks ago and that is when the swelling and pain started.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

3 weeks after my first surgery, my knee opened during a therapy session, I didn't see my surgeon untll 3 weeks, later, he just told me to keep it covered and I did but it keep draining fluid, I went to see him in the office and he took me to surgey then and he told me Proteus grew out and he placed me Septra 4 6 weeks.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

how old are you?

66

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, I understand your concern about this type of procedure and the time involved.
But today it is one of the surgeries that has generated the greatest benefits because it is a two-stage surgery. In the first one, the prosthesis is removed, the spacers are placed and the infection is expected to be overcome.
Another type of surgery that is also performed is a one-stage surgery in which the prosthesis is removed, then a wash is performed and the infected tissues are removed and then a new prosthesis is placed, but this type of surgery has had a high percentage of reinfection.
Both procedures will depend on your surgeon, but the worldwide guideline suggests that you perform the surgery that your surgeon is considering despite the time involved and the two surgeries that must be performed.

Do you have any question?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.