Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had acute bronchitis for 3 weeks. Went to urgent care…

Customer Question
I have had acute...

I have had acute bronchitis for 3 weeks. Went to urgent care (doxy/2x/10d) and worsened. went to ER,chest xrays(clear) , albuterol inhaler and prednizone for 7.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

All finished and still coughing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a 3/4 bottle of AMOX 875 (7 Tabs) Can I start taking these?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/27/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 2 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Following measures are recommended for acute bronchitis:

1) Adequate rest/bed rest if symptoms are severe.

2) cough suppressants such as codeine and dextromethorphan.

3) ipratropium bromide

4) theophylline

5) steroids which you were prescribed.

6) Occasionally antibiotics may be prescribed.

7) Zinc supplement; this increases the body immunity.

Taking of antibiotic again would be worsening symptoms or fever.

A persistent cough needs to look for other conditions.

The common causes of a chronic cough are postnasal drip (also called upper airway cough syndrome), asthma, and reflux laryngitis / gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). These causes are responsible for up to 90 percent of all cases of a chronic cough. Less common causes include infections, medications, and chronic lung diseases. Another common cause of a chronic cough is nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis. Following causes are usually considered for a chronic cough;

1) Upper airway cough syndrome; they comprise of vasomotor rhinitis; acute nasopharyngitis; and sinusitis. The treatment is by steroid nasal spray or nasal antihistamine. Sinusitis may need antibiotics like amoxicillin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or cefuroxime.

2) Cough variant asthma; this will require bronchodilator medications used in asthma or steroid inhalers.

3) Reflux laryngitis and Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); treatment is by avoidance of reflux-inducing foods (fatty foods, chocolate), eating five small meals a day without snacking, avoidance of meals for two to three hours before lying down (except for medications), elevation of the head of the bed and an H2 antagonist or a proton pump inhibitor.

4) Postnasal drip; would need antihistamines and inhaled ipratropium bromide.

5) A nonspecific cough; Dextromethorphan and/or codeine can be used.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.