Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m worried about benzene exposure due to a energy drink…

Customer Question
I’m worried about benzene exposure...
I’m worried about benzene exposure due to a energy drink that has sodium benzoate and citric acid , should I be worried of cancer ?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/27/2018
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

How much energy drinks did you consume in a day?

Any symptoms so far?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

2tablespoons a day for a week , I feel tired all the time and my body hurts , cancer is in the family as well , I have anxiety

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, chances of benzene exposure from such consumption wouldn't impose a very high risk to you.

A long-term exposure for more than 4 weeks to months can cause neurological symptoms that include headaches, numbness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and another concern are cancers such as leukemias

As you feel tired and body ache I would recommend undergoing complete health panel to rule out other possible causes which may include Infection, electrolyte imbalance.

Hydrate yourself with Gatorade and take OTC Motrin.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

you don’t think leukemia is a risk or a cause for body aches? I just been feeling unwell but I think it could be anxiety
How quickly does leukemia develop ?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Chances of Leukemia are less likely.

Acute leukemia may cause signs and symptoms that are similar to the flu. They come on suddenly within days or weeks which may include

Fever or chills.
Persistent fatigue, weakness.
Frequent or severe infections.
Losing weight without trying.
Swollen lymph nodes, enlarged liver or spleen.
Easy bleeding or bruising.
Recurrent nosebleeds.
Tiny red spots on your skin (petechiae).

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Is there any thing I can tell the doctor to check if I go into office and just feeling tired and just unwell they don’t do anything specific

You should ask your doctor for checking your vitals, serum electrolytes, and complete health profile.

He should do a complete clinical examination to screen any swollen lymph nodes, bruising.

Hope this helps.

Leukemia can form in one month? I had exactly 1 1/2 cup of the drink in a week

I have reviewed the drink and Sodium benzoate is used in a very small quantity. (Less Than 1/10 Of 1%).

So, such dose wouldn't cause acute Leukemia.

You shouldn't worry at all.

Hope this helps.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Citric acid is no concern?

Citric acid is harmless.

This drink didn’t cause any of these systoms
Symptoms

Yes, less likely.

How do you know the amount of chemicals in the drink
I’m worried because of the symptoms I’m experiencing now

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

I have reviewed this type of product with another brand name.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allmax-nutrition/liquid-l-carnitine.html

Try such measures as we have discussed earlier.

Otherwise, see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.