Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an upcoming psychiatrist's appointment about ADHD. I…

Customer Question
I have an upcoming...

I have an upcoming psychiatrist's appointment about ADHD. I believe I have serious symptoms, I am just not functional anymore. I had a previous doctor diagnose it but nothing was prescribed since I lost my job and insurance after two sessions. In the 90s in California I was briefly on fen-phen which of course was quickly outlawed, but the transformation was amazing--I felt normal for the first time in my life. Not overstimulated, normal appetite (I am a binge-eater and obese) and able to complete tasks etc. My assumption is that being a similar kind of stimulant it was helping my ADHD before I knew I had it. My concern is that with the backlash, I am worried my doctor will think I;m doing drug-seeking behavior and am afraid to broach the subject. I'm not specifically seeking medication but my suspicion is it would help immensely. I have no interested in getting high, etc. I just have anxiety about this upcoming appointment and don't know what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Like I mentioned, when I was given a stimulant in the 90s for weight loss it greatly helped my symptoms. I think I have been dealing with it all my life, but was only diagnosed in my 50s. Because I am highly intelligent it masked the dysfunction to some degree. I figured because I could focus on my writing and design and stuff I love for hours at a time I couldn;t have an attention issue but the previous doctor said that was hyper focus which is an ADHD symptom.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
PS I also have mild bi-polar and take Lamictal. This new doctor doesn't know any of my conditions yet.
5/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 29 days ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?