Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diarrhea for 3 weeks now with no changes in diet…

Customer Question
I have had diarrhea...

I have had diarrhea for 3 weeks now with no changes in diet or anything. Not sick or running fever but suddenly I get diarrhea and sometimes don’t make it to the bathroom in time. I have always been very regular and so this is very troublesome to me.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No fever or feeling sick, I have allergies that just give me sneezing or a bit of runny nose but nothing I have to take medicine for

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 25 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok thank you

What are your age and gender?

How many bowel motions are you passing in a day?

Are these bulky/copious?

Any foul smell?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am a 54 year old female, approximately 6 and mostly liquid with very small pieces and smells bad

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Mild intestinal infection.

2) C. Difficille infection

3) Irritable bowel syndrome

4) Diverticulosis.

5) Parasite infestation.

You need following investigations;

a) Stool exam

b) Stool culture

c) Colonoscopy

Meanwhile, you may take Probiotics and Lomotil.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I had a colonoscopy about 2 months ago and i did have the pockets for diverticulosis but no infection.

Diverticulosis may sometimes cause diarrhea without significant infection.

The initial evaluation of diarrhea is on these characteristic;

a) stool volume,

b) frequency,

c) consistency, and

d) gross appearance.

This description to use the term "diarrhea" to describe urgency and the frequent passage of small-volume stools suggests a functional disorder such as IBS.

Stool volume can give an idea of disease location and underlying mechanism.

a) Large-volume stools (more than one liter per day) would point to small bowel disease and secretory diarrhea.

b) Small-volume stools (less than 300 ml per day) suggest large intestine diseases and functional gastrointestinal disorders like IBS.

Stool consistency can be varied ranging from formed to watery and correlates with the rate of intestinal transit.

a) Secretory diarrheas are liquid.

b) Functional diarrheas are soft or semi-solid.

c) Stool floating will be indicative of if being filled with gas from the fermentation of mal absorbed carbohydrates.

d) Mucus can point to both inflammatory and noninflammatory diarrheas, such as ulcerative colitis and IBS.

Stool appearance helps to classify diarrhea as;

a) Watery diarrhea is caused by carbohydrate malabsorption, medications, bile acid malabsorption, Crohn's disease, microscopic colitis, chronic mesenteric ischemia, post-surgical diarrhea, hyperthyroidism, colonic adenomas and carcinomas, alcohol-induced diarrhea, laxative abuse, and hormone-secreting tumors.

b) Steatorrhea or fatty diarrhea is greasy, oily, foul-smelling, bulky, or voluminous stools that are often difficult to flush, might contain undigested food particles, and sometimes leaves an oily stain in the toilet bowl. These characteristics suggest pancreatic disease, short bowel syndrome, celiac disease, giardiasis, and small bowel bacterial overgrowth (SBBO).

c) Bloody diarrhea suggests Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's colitis, cancer and chronic infections.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.