Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How can a person not have a bowel movement without causing a…

Customer Question
How long can a...

How long can a person not have a bowel movement without causing a medical concern?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

10 days ago I experienced vomiting and diarrhoea after eating some strawberries and cream. This was followed 3 days later by extreme diarrhoea and loss of bowel control lasting 12 hours. No further bowel movements have occurred.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

For the past week I have been taking pepto bismo and kaopectate max and 1-2 tablets of hydrocodone to relieve feelings of discomfort each day. I have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer and have an enlarged prostrate. I am 79 year old male.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/26/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Do you pass flatus or gas?

Is there any nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension?

some gas is passed intermittent. no nausea or vomiting except on the 2 occasions that I have noted. Some abdominal distension is probable. Appetite remains good and I am able to ingest food without vomiting.

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

Hydrocodone, peptobismol, keopactate max can cause constipation.

You taking all together, these are the factors for constipation.

No need to take those medicine now.

Motrin can be take if the pain and discomfort is too much.

Take more fluid, vegetables, fruits.

As you are passing gas, no need to worry.

Dulcolax suppository can be used to have bowel movement.

If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish you healthy life.

Regards.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards