Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My niece went into the hospital last night and she vomited…

Customer Question
My niece went into...

My niece went into the hospital last night and she vomited 3x at school. After she was picked up and came home she was in a lot of abdominal pain and then proceeded to have diarrhea. After about the 3rd bout there was a small amount of blood in her stool. The 4th bout looked like it was pretty much all blood. What could be the cause of this?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

She does complain of having a stomach ache pretty consistent, but nothing like this has ever happened.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old is she?'

What treatment did she get in hospital?

Is she admitted there?

Did she have any test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is 6. She was dehydrated when she got there and they immediately got an IV in her. She had an X-ray done and an ultrasound. They originally thought it may be acute pancreatitis. Then maybe ulcerative colitis. After the tests they seemed to think no organs were enlarged too irregular. I think they should have done a stool sample and maybe even a colonoscopy... very frustrating.

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
Diarrhea associated with blood in stool is usually from a bacterial or parasitic infection.
When it is associated with vomiting, there can be an acute infection.
I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.
Stool test, blood work can be taken.
She may need antibiotic for it.
Please try to give plenty of fluid.
Gatorade, oral rehydration solution, pedialyte will be helpful.
Easily digested food like banana, rice, toast, etc.should be taken.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what exactly do you think I should ask the doctors to do as far as tests to get to the bottom of this?

You can discuss with her doctor about a routine stool analysis.

Doctor can take a culture too.

Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 30 days ago

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Warm Regards.