Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been low Keto for three weeks with intermittent

Customer Question
I have been low...

I have been low Keto for three weeks with intermittent fasting of 20 hours. I started having dizzy spells little over a week ago. When I stand I get dizzy. Which in the past three days include numbness. Laying down for bed feels like the room is spinning. Tonight, an hour ago I made it to the kitchen door , leaned my hand on it, felt the numbness and tingling, fell back on the tile floor hitting my head and elbow and was in a semiconscious state briefly. I’m not diabetic. Ate some saltines and peanut butter still feeling strange. I have low carbed before no problem. But the high fat, low to practically no carb with fasting has been different. Not sure what to do?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I don’t know. Just sticking to the diet and the light headed and dizziness started. I told my nurse and my daughters about it because I have never experienced this. In general I hate sugar and don’t eat or crave it anyway so this diet seemed easy for me. The fall back hitting my head freaked me out. Live alone with my little dog.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Clean bill of health as of now. Blood pressure was spot on yesterday at my women’s well check appointment

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, the presence of dizziness on standing up can indicate that you may have postural hypotension which can be the result of many things. It is possible that this diet is causing your glucose levels to fall down to dangerously low levels which is why you are experiencing these symptoms frequently. the way to determine if this is the case would be to geta glucose level done when you experience these symptoms, another way would be to eat something sweet whenever you experience these symptoms and if they improve afterward then the diagnosis is confirmed. Low glucose levels can even cause a person to fall into a coma or experience symptoms similar to a stroke.

Another possibility for your symptoms could be a heart arrhythmia. This is a condition in which you have irregular rapid heartbeats which can lead to decreased blood flow to various regions of the body including the brain. This may explain the dizzy spells and even the numbness and tingling in the arm. This would be diagnosed with the help of an EKG, 24-hour Holter monitor test. Once diagnosed it can be treated with various medications to control the problem.

But the fact is that these sort of spells should be evaluated AS soon as possible, these are not normal and can be due to the causes above or even due to other issues as well. my recommendation would be that you should see your doctor as soon as possible and if the dizziness is persistent or worsening then head to the ER immediately.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/