Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m currently prescribed Adderall for ADHD and Xanax for…

Customer Question
I’m currently prescribed Adderall...

I’m currently prescribed Adderall for ADHD and Xanax for anxiety by my doctor. Because these are controlled substances, I’m required by my doctor to take random drug screens at his office. Which I’ve done several times with no issues. However, last month when I submitted a urine specimen for the required drug screen, tested positive for marijuana as well as the two prescriptions listed above. I informed my doctor that I do not and have not used marijuana. And requested a retest or verification from a lab. He informed me that my sample would be submitted to the lab for verification and they’d notify me when they received the results back from the lab. After I left his office that day I picked up a Home testing kit at my local pharmacy. I choose the type that can be sent to a lab for definitive results. I took that test the same day and received a negative results, as expected. But I still sent the specimen to the lab (same day) for verification, again I tested negative for the presence of marijuana. My doctor never did call me with the results from his test, so after a week I called him. His secretary informed me that it had come back “ok, and everything was fine.” My doctor’s office has an online portal where all your medical records can be viewed. But when I pulled up the results for the 12-panel drug screen he preformed on the 26th all it shows are the preliminary results from the original test in his office. Upon further investigation, I was able to see on the 29th a results for the same drug screen that read “failed to transmit.” What does this mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine, was the type of specimen, and I have an appointment later today. My concern is this, after my doctor informing me of the preliminary positive result for marijuana, he then went on to say that if the lab results came back with a positive result as well that he would no longer fill my Adderall prescription. Like I said, after I didn’t hear anything from his office regarding the lab results of the UA, and called them, I was told “everything came back ok, and I was fine.” But when I look online the only results I can see are the preliminary results from the 26th. Three days later, on the 29th, there’s a message regarding this same UA that reads “failed to transmit.” What does that mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think I’ve told him everything he might need to know. However, I’ve only been seeing him for 3 months. But I signed all the required authorizations for him to obtain my medical records from my previous physician, who I’d been seeing for over 10 years. To explain, I’ve recently moved from Missouri to Texas.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Medical
5/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 26 days ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

"trailed to transmit" is not a medical result of the urine tox screening test

this sounds like a computer or technical problem with the test

and not due to medical testing results.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That’s what I suspected, but if that’s the case, then that means that my medical records will show that I tested positive for marijuana, period...correct? Should I be concerned about that? Just because I know it was a false positive doesn’t mean that if another physician views my medical records for some reason that they would know it was a false positive. It’s a personal integrity issue for me.

the screening test may have been positive

but the confirmatory testing with MS/GC testing was negative.

which is what matters most.

the final confirmatory test should be added to your medical records as well when it comes back.

or you can call up the laboratory to get a copy of the confirmatory test results