Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I HAVE THE PLATELETS HIGH FROM 450 UP TO 700. nEING TREATED…

Customer Question
I HAVE THE...

I HAVE THE PLATELETS HIGH FROM 450 UP TO 700. nEING TREATED WITH HYDRxyurea 1500 mg Monday thr Friday and Saturday-Sunday 1000mg. for about 10 years. since two years ago, I had ulcer under the tongue and very itch for lower body. Specificaly when touch with hot or cold water after bathing. My doctor had tested my marraw found no cancer and no change the medications to to a New medication. He gave not much advice on itching. Althoung my primary physican and specialist my problem is side effects of the Hyroxyurea. I had been treated with other drug "Am???" about 7 years ago some same effects the doctor treated me with only Hydroxyurea, adjusting dosaage up or down. Currently is the highest dosage. I feel very itch. I decisded not taking the hydroxyurea from today. Please advise.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Thank you

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mary Chiu

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Medical
5/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD replied 28 days ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello Mary, my name is***** and I am an I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.
I am sorry that you are having symptoms. You had mentioned that you were on another medication before - was it an injection or another pill?
You did not take the hydroxyurea today. It may be too soon but have you noticed any improvement in the itching?
You may ignore any phone call requests as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.
Mary, can you also tell me...
How old you are?
Do you smoke?
Any prior episodes of blood clots?
Do you take an aspirin everyday?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The new drugs, seemed injection just newly approved by FDA. My Dr. DR Rav Arora, Tel:(###) ###-####in Castro Valley, CA. considered the good marraw test . did not take this option. I am goiung to have blood test 5/26/2018 and have office visit appointment 5/302018. I have to decide to consult with other special list. I AM 83 YEARS WITH MEDICARE AVANTAGE insurance, Healthnet. never smokem , no known blood clots ( has blue spreder vein in both lower legs<, taking Asprin 81 mg twice dailyDo you have a list of specilaist in the field? You may call my daughter Susan Chiu Tel:(###) ###-####or Cell %10(###) ###-####. Susan speaks English better than Me and is authorised to take care my medical matter.. Thank you very much.
Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD replied 27 days ago
Thank you for all the information Mary. Other treatment options for essential thrombocytosis are interferon alpha which is an injection, then there is also a medication called anagrelide. But all of these medications have side events so best to discuss with a hematologist if you really need treatment. If you give me your zip code, I can help you find a list of hematologist in your area. Thanks.