Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My middle finger on my left hand suddenly has a swollen

Customer Question
My middle finger on...

My middle finger on my left hand suddenly has a swollen middle joint and the joint feels tender if I squeeze it

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injury I can think of

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just noticed it Nothing.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/25/2018
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Hi

Dear customer

I am so sorry to hear about your sudden pain in middle joint of middle finger of left hand.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Do you have history of pain any other joints?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr. Josh

Age is 36
Female
never had this before

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Please stay online.I am about to post the detailed answer.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having sudden pain in middle joint of middle finger of left hand can be due to various causes.

Most common causes are:inflammation of joint,any infection caused by bacteria, arthritis.

Another possibility is of tendinitis. When the tendons which bend the fingers (the flexor tendons) become irritated, they can cause pain, swelling, and stiffness.

You may need following tests:

• Complete blood count (CBC)
  • X-ray of finger joint

Following is recommended for you now:

1. Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore reduces inflammation & hence the pain.

2. Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available at your pharmacy as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

3. Apply analgesic gel such as diclofenac sodium twice a day
  4. Give your finger rest as much as possible.

All this will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh