Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Today my 26 year old son was walking on a sidewalk and got a…

Customer Question
Today my 26 year...

Today my 26 year old son was walking on a sidewalk and got a stabbing pain in his back for no apparent reason. We walked 20 more paces to our car and he could not get into the car because he was in agony. After 10 minutes we had him get in the car and lay on his front with the seat fully reclined. We made it home, but now he is flat on his back and can't move. It is his lower back, particularly his spine. He took 4 extra strength Tylenol which did nothing, and 2 hours later a Hydrocodone which did nothing for his pain. It happened at 3pm and now it is 11:45. Not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Buproprion and Lexipro

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

I am so sorry to hear about your son's acute lower back pain.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Does he have any pain in abdomen?

Any episode of nausea or vomiting?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr. Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

You need to take him to ER.

The symptoms you have described about your 26 year old son of having stabbing pain in lower back is most likely suggestive of acute lumbar strain causing stretching injury to the ligaments, tendons, and/or muscles of the low back. It is one of the most common causes of low back pain.

Another possibility is of lumbar radiculopathy. It is nerve irritation that is caused by damage to the discs between the vertebrae or it can occur when the nerves of the lumbar spine are irritated by mechanical cause or disease.

he need following tests:

• Nerve testing (EMG/electromyogram),
  • Radiology testing, such X-ray of back

As he has already taken 4 extra strength Tylenol which did nothing, and 2 hours later a Hydrocodone which did nothing for his pain- you now need to take him to ER. He requires shots & muscle relaxant treatment.

Till then ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the ice pack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore reduces inflammation & hence the pain.

Hope this helped.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh