Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a knot behind my knee. The knee is swelled and has a…

I have a knot...

I have a knot behind my knee. The knee is swelled and has a burning sinsation. Hurts to really walk up or down stairs. It’s been two weeks not getting better.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Burning fir two weeks. Just swelling and knot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I was mowing grass, weed eating and planting flowers as I felt my leg hurting going up my deck stairs.

5/17/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

What is your age?

What are the investigations are done and treatment tried?

Was there any injury?

I’m 54 female. I have tried staying off of it and knee brace. I didn’t fall, just mowing grass.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The knot behind your knee is likely due to the popliteal cyst.

The swelling and burning are due to primary osteoarthritis (degenerative/age-related arthritis) with superimposed overwork than the capacity of the knee. Apart from the analgesic, the following would help you;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight-bearing exercises, swimming on the weekends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) A warm shower in morning would open up the joint.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without the prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suit you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long-term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following herbs are supposed to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow Bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with the joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross-legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if overweight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. The ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Have you replied.

Yes, I have.

Could you please see the answer above?

If you can't, refresh the page, please.

If still can't, let me know, I will repost the answer.

Ok I read your reply. I’m overweight but not obese. I will start taking turmeric on a regular basis and fish oil.

Physical therapy, brace and knee care in ADL too would be helpful.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

I bought a brace but it’s tight on leg. Says one size fits all, not so much.

Brace has to be tailor-made or fits well on your knee.

Go to CVS/any big pharmacy/health store and buy a knee brace with a joint.

It should be good enough to support you (should not be tight or too loose).

Thank you

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

I’m taking turmeric.

Okay. That may take around 2 weeks to show the effect.

I’m trying to stay off of it.
I live in a split level so stairs are a must.

Try to avoid stairs as much as possible.