Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Causes for ankle and foot swelling other than heart failure.

Customer Question
Causes for ankle and...

Causes for ankle and foot swelling other than heart failure

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I had a ekg and everything was fine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am awaiting a hip replacement and have arthritis in the knees

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Other than arthritis and hip and shoulder replacements 12 and 3 year ago

Swelling of feet and ankle can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool. Do not hang the legs, otherwise, gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises/physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise the legend of your bed by 6 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.